Thread: Steger Mukluks

Default Steger Mukluks

Wife was googling cold weather boots and asked me about these.

I had never seen a pair when I lived in Barrow, and haven't lived or spent a lot of time in Fairbanks or Anchorage and I don't think they would work in Sitka where I did live.

Wife wants a pair, but doesn't want to look like more of an outside than she already is.

Quite a few of us wear them here.......but probably not the best for Sitka's wet weather.
    They are sized small so order a couple sizes larger to allow for toe room. I put 3/4 foot beds in mine for more support.
    The sole is a gum rubber and not slippery on most surfaces. Great for driving as I can feel peddles. About to order my third pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Seth View Post
    Wife wants a pair, but doesn't want to look like more of an outside than she already is.
    Get her a pair of bunny boots then. Seriously though, any boot that is comfortable and keeps her feet warm will look like they belong up here.

She likes the Steger muckluks for their looks and one of her ex-Alaska military spouses told her they were "super cute". So I guess there goes $250.

They really are great boots for cold weather. They are very light weight and flexible- her feet will stay warmer because she will constantly flex them in these boots. The footbed that comes with them is pretty good as is the felt liner, I add in the additional pair of felt insoles when it's really cold. In my opinion they do not run small it just takes a bit of time to break them before you can add the felt insole. I reccomend getting a tall style like the Arctics- they really keep the snow out. Also spray on some snow proof, it won't make them waterproof by any means but it will help shed snow in warmer conditions. If you knew how comfortable and warm they are, you would be ordering yourself a pair... I've been wearing them for 16 years.

Sold, 16 years? Yep, doing that. I'll let her pick first and then I'll get myself a pair. I was thinking of the arctics or the camo ones for myself.

We have some time until December, so I'll order us both a pair. And if they make a smaller pair for kids I'll order the 2 year old a pair. I'll have to look at their website again.

This is an "it depends" question. I think they're the warmest boots around but when I'm running dogs, ice fishing, or doing anything in which I've got a reasonable expectation of getting wet (i.e. I'm not on pavement!) it's bunny boots all the way. I also think they're probably much too warm for Sitka. On the other hand, "If you care what you look like it's not that cold."

NEOS on top of Stegers work well for some folks when there's overflow, etc. but I think that's clunkier than bunnies (yes, really) and harder to run in.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

We are moving to Fairbanks not Sitka, I used to live in Sitka and Barrow.

I agree, I can't see wearing anything but gumboots in Sitka.