Thread: Ammo

Default Ammo

Hey guys and gals, I've been in Germany for the last few years and getting ready to retire and drive back up from GA. I was wondering about the ammo situation up there. Is it still fairly available, on the shelf or has it been slim pickens? I've been talking to friends and family in the GA, VA and WV areas and they all are saying it's all most impossible to find what you need without ordering it. I was thinking if it was that bad there in the Wasilla, Los Ancorage area, I'd try to buy a little bit in all the states we will pass through driving back up. Thanks

Buy it when you find it. None up here

sent from my igloo

Default new reality show

This would be a better plot than most Alaskan Reality TV shows today.
    The Great USA AMMO BUY, a road trip across 24 US States, buying up as much of the more desirable and rare calibers of ammunition across the country and then selling them to grateful Alaskans who can now provide for their families and their children won't starve - because they have bullets.

Hey, no offense GA, but it wouldn't hurt to get paid to make the trip, would it?
    Would putting Serum Run into the TV show's name improve things?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    This would be a better plot than most Alaskan Reality TV shows today.
    The Great USA AMMO BUY, a road trip across 24 US States, buying up as much of the more desirable and rare calibers of ammunition across the country and then selling them to grateful Alaskans who can now provide for their families and their children won't starve - because they have bullets.

Hey, no offense GA, but it wouldn't hurt to get paid to make the trip, would it?
    Would putting Serum Run into the TV show's name improve things?
    No offense taken FM, never looked at it in that manner. I'd be willing to look for and pick up AMMO for anyone on my drive back for the low low cost of........well..a beer or two.

Not sure how much I can bring through Canada, still have some homework to do on that. But if it's that slim up in AK I'll try to max it out.

I don't know what the restrictions are crossing Canada, but they do have restrictions. Most info I can find is regarding guns, not ammo. If you are really thinking about transporting a lot of ammo, I'd just make it easy and take the ferry out of Seattle and bypass Canada.

From what I've seen, ammo is tight everywhere, and no different in AK. I was just in Florida and the shelves were bare in every gun shop I went to as well as Walmart. GNG and WWG both had ammo this past week.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    I don't know what the restrictions are crossing Canada, but they do have restrictions.
    Yeah, and I bet it equates to bringing very little into their country. I would look into it heavily if you decide to bring across more than a couple boxes....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I came through Canada last summer with a bunch of ammo. The limit was 5000 rds perperson if I remember correctly. They also were suspicious of me having pistol calibrrs and kept asking "where are the pistols?" For thecouple hours that they searched my rig.

Quote Originally Posted by pws_fish_head View Post
    I came through Canada last summer with a bunch of ammo. The limit was 5000 rds perperson if I remember correctly.
    So basically that's one case of 22 shells. I wouldn't consider that a bunch of ammo......

I just read I can bring up to 5000 rounds so looks like I'll be doing some shopping along the way. The links below were very helpfull.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rights...nstocanada.htm

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5044-eng.html

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    So basically that's one case of 22 shells. I wouldn't consider that a bunch of ammo......
    I had about 30,000 rds of assorted stuff prior to the move. I sold all the. 22 and steel case stuff. I packed 10,0000 rds of good brass case stuff for me and the wife and sold the rest. 10000 rds of 5.56, .308, .45, 40 and assorted hunting (rifle) loads is a bunch of ammo. Easily. 300lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    I just read I can bring up to 5000 rounds so looks like I'll be doing some shopping along the way. The links below were very helpfull.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rights...nstocanada.htm

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5044-eng.html
    In your first post you said "we" as in "I'd try to buy a little bit in all the states we will pass through driving back up." So, if there's more than you then as "pws fish head" it's 5K per person, so depending on how many of you there are, you can bring more.........that is, if you can find it......lol

Good Luck...!!!.................................(and bring me a case of 22s).......lol

Quote Originally Posted by pws_fish_head View Post
    I had about 30,000 rds of assorted stuff prior to the move. I sold all the. 22 and steel case stuff. I packed 10,0000 rds of good brass case stuff for me and the wife and sold the rest. 10000 rds of 5.56, .308, .45, 40 and assorted hunting (rifle) loads is a bunch of ammo. Easily. 300lbs.
    Oh I know......the stuff gets heavy fast. I've been building boxes for all the ammo that my boss has been buying lately.....

4mer, you're right about the "we" . There's a total of 5 of us, I wonder if they'ed look at it that way? Either way I'll have plenty of time from now until I drive up in June to get some ammo. Pulling a 5th wheel so will have plenty of room.

Default buying from a very large seller?

Thanks GA, for the again very generous offer. Have you found out anything about limitations coming thru Canada? I'm suspecting that they might object to some-such number of weight or number, but who knows?

Have you looked to see if there are any existing large ammo dealers down there, like maybe some of the ones we can order from and pay outrageous shipping fees from, only you'd be there face to face so no shipping? I don't know.

I've been in the enviable position of not needing ammo for awhile, but that has its price because I'm now needing a fairly large number of a caliber I need for some immediate (spring) uses. Don't need it all right now, but I'm looking at 15k rounds of .22lr. I'd guess that to weigh between 120 pounds and 150 pounds, but don't really know. Likely too many rounds and weight to satisfy my need with your venture, eh? I'm currently crossing my fingers hoping the ammo market gets saner.... possibly not so patiently, though... I really need a few thousand rounds, like 5k, to get me right for awhile; the 10k remainder could wait until next year for me even.

There are other calibers I'll need to start buying in a few years maybe, but stocking up those now doesn't seem too bright.

I just looked, and Hornaday is listing only a few mail order outfits that mail-order-sell their bullets:
    BASS PRO SHOPS
    800-227-7776
    Website

CABELA'S

800-237-4444
    Website

GRAF & SONS

800-531-2666
    573-581-2875
    Website
    Customer Service

MIDWAY USA

800-243-3220
    573-445-0863
    Website

This is where that info is in case the links don't work or such: http://www.hornady.com/retail-locator/mail-order

Anyway, I thought I'd throw that out there. Thanks for having sense of humor about that other thing too - good you.

As far as "desirable and rare calibers of ammunition", that might be in the cards depending on what you shoot.

I was in Academy in Longview, TX last evening and was surprised at the selection - much more varied than I'd ever seen there. Boxes of .35 Whelen, 6.5x55 Swedish, .260 Remington, .375 H&H, .270 WSM, and of course the requisite 30-30, 30-06, and .270. Even 3 boxes of 7.62x54R. What wasn't there: much .22 LR, no .223/5.56, .308 Win/7.62x51, or 7.62x39. I'm thinking rare (so to speak) cartridges may be the ones to have right now - except for the prices.