Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, I think it came out great

Default Well, I think it came out great

What do yaíll think? 256 Winchester Magnum Rossi 92 with scout scope mounts integrated into the barrel. Itís a little heavy with the octagon barrel but it holds rock solid and shoots great. The scope mount works fantastic! I slapped the scope on there not even bore sighted and Smitty put 5 rounds through 3 holes just over the bull @ 25 yards. Then I put a 5 shot group just under the bull (yea ole Smitty out shot me) without ever taking the caps off the scope at all.

DSC_10010.jpgDSC_10004.jpg
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

holy smokes Andy........your about to git me to leave the 22 magnum high n dry. Amazing work, I'm very impressed. Pennies on the dollar......resizing those 357 mag cases, and casting lead bullets. Probably far cheaper than a rimfire ehh? Not to mention......consistency of fine tuned hand loads that no rimfire could ever match.

With the 14 twist is doesnít like the only cast I could find to buy, 95g I think and they are just a tad long for this twist and keyhole. They are a 25-20 bullet so should work at 14 twist in theory but not for me, maybe Iím lunching them too hard. It loves the Speer 75g SPFN over 10g LilGun best so far but I havenít developed any loads just grabbed some data and ran. Brass is super cheap, not much powder in one, so find a mold that it likes and Iím sure it would be way cheaper to feed than a 22mag . . . And you get top end power not far off 223.

I have another 14 pipe sitting here but next time I buy I think I'll try a 10 . . . I think 12 would be best but I can't find it in blanks.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It WAS Steady, ya know. Otherwise it wouldn't have shot well for ME. It shot Two different loads accurately.

We hardly had time to try it. It was just "let's quick try it to start sighting it in", and it shot like a house afire.

It's the best Scout Scope set-up I've seen. With it being so low, and close to the barrel, it blends right in. When you take the scope off there's no bases sticking up.

It's a novel idea, I guess. I never seen it before, anyway. Maybe, one of a kind, unless you build a nother one.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Who did the barrel work? That turned out nice!

You sir are a craftsman indeed. The mounts are as fine as any I've seen on very high dollar DR's. Modern classic to say the least.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Who did the barrel work? That turned out nice!
    Green Mountain did the button rifling and I did the rest.

Thanks for the kudos guys, I am quite tickled with how it came out.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Sweet looking design! I wish all my lever's had the capability of swapping out a scope or using iron sights easily...
    BEE

Sure do like that Octagon Barrel,...and that butt plate,...the stock work,...

Scope, or no scope,...It's got, "Solid and Steady," written all over it,...Yeah, that rig's a Stud for sure

Very Nice
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I like the octagon barrel too. It gives you forward weight, something my small game rifle is lacking. Do you know the weight of the rifle?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I like the octagon barrel too. It gives you forward weight, something my small game rifle is lacking. Do you know the weight of the rifle?
    I agree.
    It,s the same reason I,d prefer that long barreled Marlin Cowboy 44 Magnum over the Guide Gun.
    They just hold steady.

I don't like them TOO heavy, though.

I like This 256 better than the Carbine, Andy did earlier, and that one was a dandy, too.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Green Mountain did the button rifling and I did the rest.

Thanks for the kudos guys, I am quite tickled with how it came out.
    Good craftsmanship, for sure. Makes me want a lever gun and that's exactly how I would want one.

Looks great. I'd say that has been a very worthwhile project.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I prefer the carbine but that is just a personal thing. Both of these guns are something to be proud of and I don't think you could pick a much better round for this type of gun. I have two different boolit molds in .258 One is the Lyman 69gr (actual 73gr) and an NOE custom mold that casts about 85gr from WWs. I have some cast up and ready if you want some or if you prefer you can use one of the molds and cast your own. I have had pretty good luck with the Lyman in a 25/20 in a 92 Win and my 14' Contender in 256. The NOE mold is new and I just got it broke in and casting so I haven't had a chance to shoot any yet. If you want to try some or use the mold, let me know and I'll bring them to you and the barrel I want chambered. I really like the barrel ring mounts. Thanks Buck.

Buck I'd like to try on some of what you have cast up. I'll need your action also to head space off of unless you plan on doing it the hard way or it's a single with a recessed rim.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

My project is a Win 92 and if i remember right all I need is the back end of the barrel squared off and chambered until the rim just touches the back of the barrel. Then when I get around to it I will set head space by cutting the thread shank the right length and threading it. I can cut the thread shank a few thou short then sneak up on it a bit at a time. I won't be off work until thursday but let me know where you are located and I'll run out to bring that stuff Fri, Sat or whenever it's convienient for you. I work week on week off so my scedual is pretty open after Thurs.

Andy,

have you found any suitable lead bullets for this rifle? I'm thinking an 85 grain round nosed would be the ticket. This bullet at about 2000 fps would be a winning combo for small game/predator.

I talked to a johnson's tire service guy when I got tires changed over........I talked to him about his hundred lb. buckets of lead tire weights. The more I think about your rifle, the more I find it cheaper in the long run, than running a 22 magnum. Have you seen the prices of rimfire ammo lately? the shortages?

Small game rifles/pistols don't need jacketed bullets. Are you going to get a Bowen cylinder and convert a pistol to a 256 win mag too?

Yep, if you cast you can shoot something like the 25/20 or 256Win for very little more than 22LR and much less than a 22mag. From my Win 92 and a lyman 69gr cast (actual 73gr) my 25/20 does 1950fps and about 1 3/4" at 75yds. I could easily push it faster but accuracy goes away. The last few inches of rifling is weak. A 256Win with a new barrel should do somewhat better and still only 8 or 9 cents per round. I wish I had the money to talk Andy out of this gun but am going to have to settle for building my own. Folks that haven't handled and shot one of these nifty little rifles or carbines have no idea what they are missing. And this one is a thing of beauty. Good job.
    Revolvers with bottle neck cases are problematic at best and a case with a sharp shoulder like the 256Win don't work well at all. It's to bad cause that would be a smoking pistol round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast