Thread: Bear loads for 45 Long Colt

Default Bear loads for 45 Long Colt

This will be my first bow hunt to Alaska. and for a side arm I am cosedering a Ruger Vaquero in 45 long Colt becuase it is much liter than my 454 Caswell. Looking for some relaoding info for my Ruger 45 long Colt that will stop a bear if I have to use it. We will be up around the Hall Road Area, 22 B

Corbond makes heavy loads for the 45 long colt.

I use the 300 grain, 1350 fps, solid bonded bullets.

Should be able to find them at a local sporting goods store.

Not sure of your gun, but they are not for older, or weak long colts, will tear them apart.

The 44 magnum is the most popular handgun for "bear protection".

You can load the 45 LC up to the same level using the proper gun.

However, the 44 magnum is less powerful than the 30-30!

Would you hunt the big bears with a 30-30 much less consider carrying a 30-30 for protection against an enraged bear?

If you really anticipate a bear problem, you are not taking the threat serious unless you carry a 12 gauge or substantial high-powered rifle.

If you just want a handgun to carry, Hell, take a 22. It is great for collecting grouse for dinner.

But what do I know? I've only been charged twice.
    Once, I was fishing and carrying a 44. It only took a split-second for me to decide it was not enough gun. I yelled at the bear and he turned his charge.
    The second time, a load of buckshot in the face proved to be the first step in the making a bear rug.

Default Cast Performance

Order the Cast performance Hard Cast 335grn Flat nose (the same led Corbon uses). Load that with 19grns of Hadagon Lilgun and you've got some punch!! I'm not sure of the ft per sec but this is what I've been instructed to carry in my Ruger Redhawk .45LC, by a reloading "expert". It's accurate out to 25yrds...I havn't played much with it past that as it's intended for last resort. Recoil is very simalar to my budies Ruger .480 with hot loads. Send me a PM if you have any other questions

Check out www.gunblast.com this is were I got my reload data, this guy knows his stuff...I've emailed him a few times for help. Hope this helps

GS
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by 338.06 View Post
    This will be my first bow hunt to Alaska. and for a side arm I am cosedering a Ruger Vaquero in 45 long Colt becuase it is much liter than my 454 Caswell. Looking for some relaoding info for my Ruger 45 long Colt that will stop a bear if I have to use it. We will be up around the Hall Road Area, 22 B

If it were me, I'd just use a hard cast bullet at around 1000 fps.
    Smitty of the North

Default Never used for a bear, but...

To answer your question:

I have chrony'd my vaquero with 22gr H110 and 300 gr Laser Cast @ just over 1300 fps.

Practice and be competent with whatever load you take. My fixed sights just happen to be regulated to this bullet weight, however yours may not - and your point of impact could be off.