Thread: Chain vs. Cable

Default Chain vs. Cable

This is going to be my first year baiting, and I have everything I need so far except the cable or chain to secure my barrel to a tree. I'm wondering what all you guys use to secure your barrels, and what are the pros and cons to each.

Thanks
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I use light chain and let them roll it around probably 15 feet of it and run it through a bung hole i use plastic barrels. my friend that baits near me did his real tight and the brownie ripped it off the tree and took it. So for me what works best is loose. I am starting to get excited now to find a new spot,

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i lay my drum on its side, and just use a ratchet strap to hold it to the tree, it will last most the season, until you start letting it dry up. And mine gets Grizzed 90% of the time. they may knock it loose, but i just hook it back up. I cut a slash in each end of the drum and put the strap hooks in them with a loop once around the tree.

so i am guessing which ever you choose will work fine
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If you are going to let the bear roll the barrel around be sure to add a swivel. I have used both cable and chain and had them break when they get bound up. Also makes it easier to maneuver barrel when resupplying it.

There are many ways to secure your barrel. Depending on the site I sometimes leave it loose and cover the barrel with down fall. Keeps them at the site longer if they have to flip all the logs I have piled on top of it. Other times ill use 3/8 chain and a pad lock. Only once a brownie got his arm stuck in the hole I cut into the barrel and broke the chain..... I found the barrel 200 yards away in a creek....since then we use bigger holes to prevent injury to said bears. One thing I've learned over the years when approaching the bait site is.....never assume your barrel is where you left it. And always approach your bait site carefully. Good luck