Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't drink anymore.

Default I don't drink anymore.

So, I've been planning my migration and I've run into a few issues. I have a Toyota Tacoma and would be traveling alone with no trailer, heading to Homer mid to late June. My initial plan was to drive, as it seems to be the cheapest option. But, 6 years ago I had a DUI (once again, I no longer drink AT ALL). After some research I became aware that Canada will not let me cross into their country having criminal history, or at least not without a lot of red tape and extra money. I then looked into the Marine Highway in order to avoid any issues with Canada. The first issue with that is that is seems rather expensive, and also that there was no space available for my vehicle so I wouldn't even be able to take float they had available. So, does anyone have any advice, particularly on crossing the Canadian border with criminal history? Do they actually have access to criminal records? If anyone has FIRSTHAND EXPERIENCE with this please weigh in. Thanks a lot!

It's not worth the risk if you know you have one on your record. You have time before June to set it straight with Canada. Yes, red tape and some cash but then you are done.

Sometimes they run your numbers sometimes they just ask, either way it's down to the discretion of the agent so get your paperwork in line and you will be fine. If I recall your six years is far enough from the incident to ask forgiveness and get it done.

However, the marine highway is not that expensive compared to hotels, gas (at canada prices) and food etc.

As in many situations, a little cash and time heals sets things straight.
    Good luck.

Had a buddy get out of the military and drove home to Kentucky last summer.He had acquired 2 DUI's while stationed up here and he got through.They charged him 500$ and he had 7 days to get out of there country.

Take the ferry. It seems expensive but it will be money saved in fuel through Canada. They sell by the liter and it is super expensive. I had a good friend leave from here planning to drive through Canada who had a DUI filled out all the extra paperwork and STILL wasnt allowed through. That would be crazy to go all that way just to have to turn around and take the ferry anyways. The ferry leaves all the time so check into different dates.

Flew down to Washington with friends to help them drive their newly purchased vehicle back over a weekend. The nearest border crossing was not a main one as we sat in line watching some Canadian citizens trying to get back into their own country hauling a lifted pickup on a trailer. Some kind of funky rule that I never did get a clear explanation. So here we are in a lifted rig trying to get thru to Alaska and the border patrol takes our ID's and comes back a bit later to tell us to move into the barn and we are getting searched. After considerable delay we are finally told the whole reason for this was my friend had a minor violation on his record from 17 years ago! Apparently you are required to fill out a ton of paperwork when that happens and are banned for 10 years. After the 10 year probation you are clear to travel freely again. Didn't matter that he had run thru Canada several times over the years and never had an issue. After much deliberation we were allowed to pass after signing documents and paying a few hundred in fees. They then gave us three days to get thru Canada and if the paperwork was not turned into border patrol on the far end and recorded then ALL 3 of us would be considered fugitives. What a mess

In the end if you know you have an issue then avoid crossing the border.

Just remember just because you take the ferry most of them land in Haines and you still have to go thru Canada from there. Just get on one that goes to Seward. Most every one that has had that problem never go thru Canada anymore they only fly.
    A friend some years ago crossing into Canada with 2 other guys going fishing. The 2 other guys had both been in prison for theft or stupid kid stuff. My friends only offense was a DUI. He was the only one they hassled. They wouldn't let him in with paying like $500 extra.

The last time I tried to cross the border I got turned back.

I crossed the boder when I was 24 1984 a year after I got my DWI after a day long episode and was giving 7 days to reach alaska. ( I told them that i had got one )

Fast forward 12 years later and was going to cross it again, was asked if I had any crimanal records, I said no because I thought they were wiped out after 10 years, Boy was I wrong. They took about 30 minutes and came back and gave me 5 minutes to get back to the U.S. side.

I was told to go to the embassy in Seattle and see what could be done about the sitituation.

I had a friend in Goldendale so I took my trailer back down there ( all the time with a alaska or bust sign in the back of my rig and truckers telling me I was going the wrong way over the C.B., lol ) dropped the trailer and hauled ass to the big city. They told me it would take up to 18 months to get a visa for me to cross. I asked about the ferry and being as it stopped in Haines and that you would still have to go through a few hundred miles of Canada I would be held at the boder on charges.

I ended up hiring my brother to fly to washington to drive my rig up and I ended up flying.

Now that you have to get a passport, that should all be a mute point, if you are cleared for the passport, should not be a problem.

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to try avoiding crossing through Canada. I'm going to call the ferry tomorrow. Online it said there was no room for vehicles, hopefully I can get on a wait list or something. I didn't think about the high fuel cost in Canada, I guess that would add up in the end. As far as route is concerned, I was planning to take the gulf crossing route from Bellingham to Whittier, then drive to homer from there.

My fiancÚ booked her passage Bellingham to Whittier in late January. Earliest she could get booked was July 20th

Sounds like you are moving here. I often wonder if it really pays for people to drag all there stuff north. I know we all like our crap.We have most every thing one drags up here already even Toyota tacomas. With some craigs shopping in no time one could have all new stuff. Point is than you could just get a cheap 1 way air ticket and be done. Go get some new and new to you stuff. I think that's how I'm moving if I ever move again.
    I swear unless your real picky with in a week or 2 on Craigs there is every thing needed for a house given away free. I can't believe what people give away. better than going to the dump. Just thinking out of the box for you.

Have you considered just shipping your vehicle with a commercial shipper, then flying up to meet it? Seems like it would solve your problems and probably be cheaper or at least close overall.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Have you considered just shipping your vehicle with a commercial shipper, then flying up to meet it? Seems like it would solve your problems and probably be cheaper or at least close overall.
    This is looking like a decent option. Anyone know any reputable shippers?

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Sounds like you are moving here. I often wonder if it really pays for people to drag all there stuff north. I know we all like our crap.We have most every thing one drags up here already even Toyota tacomas. With some craigs shopping in no time one could have all new stuff. Point is than you could just get a cheap 1 way air ticket and be done. Go get some new and new to you stuff. I think that's how I'm moving if I ever move again.
    I swear unless your real picky with in a week or 2 on Craigs there is every thing needed for a house given away free. I can't believe what people give away. better than going to the dump. Just thinking out of the box for you.
    I wont be coming up with much stuff, just my truck, shotgun and rifle, and fishing pole. I'm not willing to part with those. I also am amazed at the things people throw out. But hey, better for me.

Why are you leaving CA? What are your intentions and why/ how do you think Alaska will be any better?

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by captainredshirt View Post
    This is looking like a decent option. Anyone know any reputable shippers?
    Search through this forum. There have been several threads on shipping vehicles and other stuff in the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Why are you leaving CA? What are your intentions and why/ how do you think Alaska will be any better?
    Well, I'm not from CA originally. I'm a Louisiana native. I like to hunt and fish, and pretty much anything else outdoors. I severely dislike overbearing governments like the ones we have here in CA. I find solitude peaceful, and feel I'm a rather self sufficient person. I don't find too many people here that are in line with the way I live.

Quote Originally Posted by captainredshirt View Post
    Well, I'm not from CA originally. I'm a Louisiana native. I like to hunt and fish, and pretty much anything else outdoors. I severely dislike overbearing governments like the ones we have here in CA. I find solitude peaceful, and feel I'm a rather self sufficient person. I don't find too many people here that are in line with the way I live.
    Solitude? Here? Good luck buddy. I've had better luck in Idaho with that..... Overbearing govt? We got that too and lots of it.... Not as bad as Cali yet buy slowly getting there..... Self sufficient in what respect? Like living off the land? that's not possible here unless you have a great job....

Release Lake Trout

Not tryin to ruin your dreams at all but you need to have a realistic idea of how things are here. It is still America. You will find the same crap here that is anywhere else. You should by choice of wisdom have a good job or prospects for a good job, or at least have a desirable skill set. Winters are hard, housing is very expensive is comparison to other places and living in the woods isn't very legal per se.... Unless its your property of course. Jus be wise about it, and keep in mind your not leaving anything behind you in the way of politics/ govt/ people's general BS and bad behavior

Release Lake Trout

Plus as an Alaskan you will get to know who won all the elections before our polls even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Not tryin to ruin your dreams at all but you need to have a realistic idea of how things are here. It is still America. You will find the same crap here that is anywhere else. You should by choice of wisdom have a good job or prospects for a good job, or at least have a desirable skill set. Winters are hard, housing is very expensive is comparison to other places and living in the woods isn't very legal per se.... Unless its your property of course. Jus be wise about it, and keep in mind your not leaving anything behind you in the way of politics/ govt/ people's general BS and bad behavior
    Oh ****! I wasn't aware that it was still America No, but seriously I understand your skepticism of people moving from the lower 48 to your state. After getting out of the Marine Corps I moved up to Los Angeles, but I've realized it's just not me. Anyway, once I get there I'll come up to Big Lake and you can judge for yourself whether I can make it in Alaska or not. Maybe you could show me some of your secret fishing holes...or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast