Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new jig looking for a name

Default A new jig looking for a name

So for a few years now I have had this idea for a larger Butterfly/Crippled herring style jig for Cook Inlet Halibut and Lingcod.
    Yes they make ones I can buy butI wanted to make my own. Paint them how I want and have the pride in catching fish on a lure I made myself.
    I had considered a silicone or plaster mold. Those would have worked for a few pours but I really wanted a long lasting mold.
    This winter I met a man online on another forum who had the equipment and the abilities to make me what I wanted out of Aluminum.
    I gave him my ideas and we came up with a price and a timeframe.
    So after I approved the video he sent me of his cad file which consisted of my ideas with some of his own ideas he made my mold.
    This jig is the result.
    It wasn't cheap but I really like what I have. A new lure the fish have never seen.
    I made a few the other day and just got them painted.
    It came out at 25.5oz after paint and hooks.
    I used stainless steel #3 long eyes in the mold so they wont bend or pull out. They are 1.3" long and much stronger than brass ones.
    The paint is all powder paint Super glow white for the base coat via one of my fluid beds. Then I used a powder paint spray gun for the super glow green and super glow blue accent color. Some of them I added some flame red around the gills using the brush tapping method.
    I finished the paint with an overcoat of clear UV blast so it will be more visible at deeper depths where only the UV light penetrates.
    I used some 1/2" eyes in different colors. Silver,red, and one with glow around the pupil. The eyes are epoxied in with a 2 ton clear epoxy so they won't fall out.
    The assist line is SeaHunter 240# test with Owner 10/0 ssw hooks. I may switch hook styles but these Owners are sticky sharp.
    Anyway I now need a name for this jig. The name of my boat is Roust-A-Bout so if the name included part of that it some way it would be cool.
    If you come up with a name I like I will send you a free lure. So help me out so I know what to call it and what you think of it.
    I have some other cool new jigs in smaller and larger sizes from some different molds that I will be making also but some still need paint and some I havent made yet.
    Chris

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

How about Light Stick. Kinda reminds me of those Cyalume things, and since it glows in the dark.....

Really nice looking, BTW!

Kasilof

I have only limited saltwater experience, but am gaining more every season, so from my perspective I think they look great. That's work to be proud of, no matter the cost or catch rate there's no better feeling to create it yourself. Someday I will pull back from tying flies and building rods to making my own jigs. May even get to some this spring before the season ramps up. Just need to finish my fluid bed and make a few molds.

as for a name I would go with something like "roust-a-butt" or "roust-a-ling" or maybe "ling-an-butt".

keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

How about the "Tampax"?

Seriously, those look good. I know those are designed for speed, but I wonder what would happen if you rigged a single 7/0 hook on the end, with a magnum Golden Bait Hoochie rigged on it?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    How about the "Tampax"?

Seriously, those look good. I know those are designed for speed, but I wonder what would happen if you rigged a single 7/0 hook on the end, with a magnum Golden Bait Hoochie rigged on it?
    Adding a single hook and Hootchie would be really easy.
    I really wanted a jig that would fish well in Cook Inlet tides hence the heavy weight and slimmer profile.
    270ti I may just make one like you suggest and pot a pic of it. Just for you.

As for the Tampax comment well.... Any man who wears Tampax doesn't have the cahonies to fish a 25oz jig all day anyway so that won't work.

Looks like an "Alaskan Butt-Slayer" to me!

The BUTT-ERFLY Jig

How about Butt Banger

Nice looking work Chris. It will most certainly take fish.

I guess 'Butt-Pounder' and 'Butt-Scratcher' are out.

FWIW, if you run the line/cord for the assist hook through the other side of the eye of the hook first (barb side-siwash hook) it will get better hook-sets. The line coming from behind the eye will actaully pull the barb away from the fish when you set the hook.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Butt Buster

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Nice looking work Chris. It will most certainly take fish.

FWIW, if you run the line/cord for the assist hook through the other side of the eye of the hook first (barb side-siwash hook) it will get better hook-sets. The line coming from behind the eye will actaully pull the barb away from the fish when you set the hook.
    The assist line is an easy fix thanks for the tip.
    I was actually going to look for a straight shank hook if I can find one I like.

Butt Stacker or Halibut Hammer

Considering what they kinda look like, It would take someone pretty confident in their masculinity to call that thing anything with the word "butt" in it.

I was thinking "the weener".

But they look great, and should be ridiculously fast on the way down.....luckily I don't need that much in SE, cuz the way up will feel more like a ball than a jig. Should be able to jig more Cook Inlet tides with that thing for sure.

Roust-A-Butt

How about "JigLing-Butt"

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post

These have my vote! Of course, now I have the image of Peter Griffin from 'Family Guy" selling butt-scratchers at a sports event ...

Would be happy to pay you for three of these, as I suspect they would be awesome deep-water amberjack/grouper slayers down here in TX!

My only contribution on the name department would be "Alaskan Halibut Hammer"

"THE ALASKA JIG"

Simple, rememberable. and it gives it identity.

Cook Inlet Reaper?

Nyuk nyuk
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

On a serious note, "Pinnacle Seeker" Pinnacle holding a double meaning as "Best" or Underwater structure highly suitable for holding Lingcod or Halibut not to mention as weighing in at 25+ ounces, you can get down quickly to those small targets in short order.

Thanks for all the ideas guys and keep them coming I am still undecided for now.
    I don't think I can use any reference to or about the Butterfly jig as I am guessing Shimano has some good patemt and trademark lawyers.
    Also any Butt reference of the broke back mountain type nature is out as well.
    Plenty of good choices though.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast