Thread: Advice needed on pack for daughter

Default Advice needed on pack for daughter

Need input on a pack for 60-70 # loads. 16-18 inch torso and 27 inch waist. A Dana Design terraplane sized small with small waistbelt works ($$) but I would prefer a less expensive route or an external frame that I could make work. Input would be appreciated. And no she is not going to grow much. Thanks in advance.

I would go to REI and try on packs until she finds one she likes. The folks there are knowledgable. My wife and I did this for her and our 10 year old son. I recommend you wait until the big REI sale in May and get the pack for 20% off. In the meantime you could shop around and try and find a better deal. Best of luck.

I agree with Berto but must say if you're buying one for the long term I don't think you can beat the Terraplane. The old Dana Design Arc Flex frame has yet to be beat as far as transferring a load straight to your hips vs. to your lower back and then the waist belt. It has to be fit right and they HAUL on the lower/side straps to pull the bars onto the waist belt.

If she's younger please don't underestimate how important color is, for real. If it's pretty, she'll like it.

Lots of good options out there. My daughter has a very light weight North Face that will carry 50/60 pounds once or twice a year (if that). Price was right, she barely uses it, fits the bill nicely.

Thumbs up Gregory Deva

Quote Originally Posted by deadi View Post
    Need input on a pack for 60-70 # loads.
    For you daughter? The first thing I'd do is work on cutting weight. I got my wife a Gregory women's Deva 60. She loves it, especially all the different pockets and the fact that the straps are stategically placed not to squish boobs. They make a whole line of women's packs, and they generally get high reviews http://www.gregorypacks.com/products/womens. If carrying a rifle, she may have to improvise a bit, or buy a gun bearer from Kifaru to add on.

I got my 12 year old daughter an osprey women's. I think it is a 70L. Fits her perfect. Found it on craigs list for $40.

What they said about REI. I was just at REI in Anchorage an hour ago with my son trying out backpacks. The folks there are knowledgeable and while they may have their favorite brand, they didn't push it on us. They explained fitting options, some common misconceptions and made sure what he tried on fit him. We found that sized from brand to brand varied widely, I highly recommend she try on as many as possible before committing to one. As REI can be pricey, our plan is to find the one that fits him the best, then find the best price out there.

Sierra Trading Post usually has some good deals.

There are lots of good packs out there but my daughter has been using a Terraplane for several years and really likes it. I found it for her on ebay for a reasonable price. I think there are different waistbelts for men and women in the DD packs.

My wife has a Gregory Deva 85 and loves it. For a smaller woman, it works great for staying on her shoulders/waist. She had trouble getting the Danas sized small enough to fit snugly. If you go to REI, your daughter can try on the Deva 60 (or maybe even 70) for size/reference. If it doesn't have enough volume, REI can special order an 85 (no special order fees), and size it for you when it gets there.