Thread: Online Rifle Purchase, anything I should watch for ?

Default Online Rifle Purchase, anything I should watch for ?

So, I'm about to pull the trigger on an online rifle buy,

first time I've done it,..always wanted to support the local guys,
    but this time I'm I don't have the extra $

So, are there any cautions,...?? it seems a little weird not being able to see it first,...
    still a little bit old school with my guns I guess
    Going to run it thru Macks for my FFL, and they seem to act like it's a smooth deal, eager to help out
    (tho I hate to ask that from guys I've bought more than a few rifles from,...kno what I mean there,...??)

I'm thinking I'll go with Buds Gunshop,...seems like some excellence going on there,...good pricing
    and I couldn't find the one I'm looking for on Gunbroker

Going to go for a "Blu on Wood," Tikka T-3 Hunter in .243

What do you guys think,...any other sites I should look at first, has it gone bad for anyone ??

(and, no need to work me over for the Blu on Wood part, on Kodiak,...I know,...I am crazy,..but I just like that stuff)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I would ask the locals to match Buds in your hand price.Gun + shipping + transfer and if they can't call Buds.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

What Will said, Buds has worked with me before like that and I was able to even save the customer a tiny bit in the end. If your shop don't want to be bothered you done your bit.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

In my humble opinion - Something as personal as a hunting rifle, has always been touching the rifle and getting to know how she feels to me. There are many fine guns out there that have hardly been shot, locally. As an example the .458 WM mag. I have on the forum for sale only 20 shots total. Did in some wounded bear, but the other shots were on sand bags at the range. Used big bore are usually a good bet. Have a 25-06 I built back in the 60' with thousand of shot through, shoots like crap now, but what can you ask from a old #1 douglas barrel?
    Just me, but I do spend a bit more for local stuff. And feel and smell what I am buying to use.
    In my opinion a rifle is a tool and good ones are made to last. I never question my 30 yr. old Vaughn framing ax after a few 1,000 nails!!
    Goo

Thanks for the opinions,..
    That is a good one, the idea of letting the locals compete, with all the costs

I had asked them earlier, about exactly what I wanted and there was some inability to get the same exact rifle
    as a personal order, and a little bit of motivation to buy what they had already,...??
    (which I can understand,..I'm just too picky for that)

and I guess, in a special order deal, you are committed to what comes, minus the "feel" mentioned here
    Then sometimes you have to, "Plow Thru, the local guys opinions of what he thinks is best,..."
    (of Tikka for example, the main guy here, didn't agree with what I already know is a fine rifle,...versus Browning, of the same caliber,...for as much as several hundred more, already on the shelf)

Is part of the Small Town blues, we have few Gunshops to choose from,...(like One,... really)
    not a lot of, "Feeling" going on as an option, I think there may be One Total, .243's in the entire town

but that is the main reason for the order myself part, to get exactly what I want
    not too many .243's,...much less in Blu on Wood,...sitting on the shelf in Kodiak,..for a variety of reasons

Thanks tho, you guys,...that is a good tip,...I'll see what they have to say
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I have bought 4 or so through buds over 5 or so years, always smooth.

Having purchased almost all of my firearms online, what more can I say? I even imported sight-unseen ZKK-602 from Kamloops B.C.; won't do that again.

GB, AA, or GA, simply buy it and take the item number, and name/address of seller to FFL and have them fax a copy to the seller (if FFL), other wise seller sends to FFL. I send money order or cashiers check to seller. Simple.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I'm a touch it and feel it type guy as well, but have bought a few online when I could not find them locally. My only word of caution is to ask for a 3 day inspection period and make sure to test it as soon as you get it to ensure proper function and accuracy. Some folks will pawn off a lemon online so they don't have to deal with someone face to face. I bought one of those and the cost in shipping and head aches were not worth the rifle. So, know what you want and make sure to ask the right questions.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    My only word of caution is to ask for a 3 day inspection period and make sure to test it as soon as you get it to ensure proper function and accuracy. Some folks will pawn off a lemon online so they don't have to deal with someone face to face. I bought one of those and the cost in shipping and head aches were not worth the rifle. So, know what you want and make sure to ask the right questions.

Steve
    That shouldn’t be an issue with Bud's but can be at the auctions, check seller's feedback to combat this and remember this can even happen from a reputable shop down te street but then you don't have the shipping issues.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have bought two or three NIB guns from Bud's over the years and would have no hesitation buying from them again.

In Fbx the response to bringing in a gun from online and the LGS gets just a transfer is "mixed". Some shops are happy to get the $30 transfer without having any of their own money tied up in inventory.

For something oddball like .243 in Alaska I would probably give my local guy a chance to make the sale like Amigo suggested, just for good will later down the road.

I've bought and sold several firearms via online, never had an issue. If ordering from Buds Guns I wouldn't worry they are very reputable. I use a FFL who works out of his home and charges a very reasonable price to transfer and great guy to boot. So I don't have to deal with an LGS who may not be so happy to be used as a transfer and/or charges up the you know what to get it done. Not sure if you have any other FFL's who do transfers in Kodiak, I think there is a website to search for them but forgot the link to do so(will look for it and update if I find it.)

Thanks blaster, you hit that one, right on the head...
    I was surprised to find out, thru our local, "Only Guns on Kodiak," facebook group,...
    that the guys I had talked to about doing the FFL, had just went up to $50 for a transfer, like a week ago

versus another guy in town who is still $25,....not sure what that's all about,..but glad someone had me covered on that tip

Like I mentioned,...it's "understandably," hard for the local guys to "Be Cool" with the online competition, "I get it"

but, there are a few factors, to why I am not going for the $1200 Browning X-bolt, sitting on their shelf, in town...
    Yeah, I have hefted it,.... more than a few times, my boy also,...just to feel it out,...but,...

these days, I'm not in the position to ignore a $651 Tikka, that I know is a fine rifle
    Been hearing a lot of good about Bud's so far,...that is a fairly big part of it

Replacing, what I know is out there in some thief's hands, is another,...just can't go decadent this time
    ( if that doesn't make sense,...this is a replacement buy, for my son's 11th b-day present, stolen 10 days before the day
    last fall,...)

Believe it or not. My dad jus picked up a brand new model 70 stainless /synthetic .270 wsm. With Leupold mounts and rings.... Plus 2 boxes of premium ammo. $550..... I was like say whattttt!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I would ask the locals to match Buds in your hand price.Gun + shipping + transfer and if they can't call Buds.
    Thats what i would do as well. Assuming they can even have or get what you are looking for. If its something they do not usually stock. Do the transfer and bring in some doughnuts and coffee if you feel bad.

KR, I have bought guns from Buds as well and all went smoohly. Heck, they even sent me a free one once by mistake! Yes, I sent it back...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I know many people who have bought from Bud's successfully. I don't think you'd have anything to worry about from them other than perhaps busy-ness.

I've been in their store and it was eye opening. It's a big gunshop, but not the biggest I've seen by any means. But there were people 2-3 deep at all the counters and this was BEFORE the crazy started. I was with a friend who had seen one they had listed online that was hard to find and wanted to go check it out in person before buying. The guy at the counter sort of chuckled when he asked. He said "We sell between 3000-5000 guns a WEEK! 75% of which never hit the floor in the store. If you didn't hit buy it when you saw it, it's probably not here." They weren't the friendliest bunch, but I doubt I would be either at the end of a 10 hour day of non-stop customers. I can't even imagine what that place has been like for the last three months.