Thread: Wooldridge SS Offshore PH Owners

Default Wooldridge SS Offshore PH Owners

Hi, was wondering how you guys like your boats. How does it handle big swell? I've heard they ride like a cork and pound due to their being light relative to size. Any issues in general? Thinking real hard about getting one but would like some real world feedback. I've done a lot of reading but I really haven't found much on how they handle. What I've been told is from other builders/dealers and you know how that goes right? Customer service seems to best bar none. Thanks for any input.

We just bought a 27'er from Sportdrifter 2 weeks ago. I don't habve any real world experience in the boat yet.....
    Sportdrifter would be worth talking to as he has lots of experience on these boats.
    Also look up Propnut here on the forum, he has a 24'er (Event Horizon) and a couple videos on youtube of the boat running with Spoiled One's Glaciercraft.
    Fishhogg also had the same SS Pilot House for many years in PWS.
    I'm sold on the efficiency, quality of build, style, spaciousness, and the Wooldridge support.

I guess a question you might ask yourself is how big of seas do you plan on running? We were in a 22 Bayliner Trophy before and anything over a 2' chop would cause me to duck and hide or go real slow. I'm expecting this Wooldridge to eat that up and continue cruising at twice the speed my old boat would.
    Are you planning on new or used? (There doesn't seem to be much inventory on used)

Also, what other brands are you looking at that would be knocking the Wooldridge?

BK

I have a 24' Wooley SS Pilothouse and have been impressed with the seakeeping abilities of the boat. The deep V slices through the waves and doesn't beat you up in the chop. The Wooley seems to be able to travel faster more compfortably than similiar sized Hewescraft in 3-4 foot seas. I've been out in solid 6 footers, and while I had to slow way down, I always felt very solid and safe. I owned a Bayliner 2452 for a short time before the Wooldridge, and had an uneasy feeling going over boat wakes in the Bayliner. It was very tall and excentuated the roll of the boat going over the wake, I had to almost come off step. The Wooley is night and day difference (for me), better balanced and I don't feel like I have to slow down now. The boat handles like a race car, but can hunker down in the snot. It works well for how we play in the Sound. PM me if you want to take a look at her, I have pleanty of stories.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    We just bought a 27'er from Sportdrifter 2 weeks ago. I don't habve any real world experience in the boat yet.....
    Sportdrifter would be worth talking to as he has lots of experience on these boats.
    Also look up Propnut here on the forum, he has a 24'er (Event Horizon) and a couple videos on youtube of the boat running with Spoiled One's Glaciercraft.
    Fishhogg also had the same SS Pilot House for many years in PWS.
    I'm sold on the efficiency, quality of build, style, spaciousness, and the Wooldridge support.

I guess a question you might ask yourself is how big of seas do you plan on running? We were in a 22 Bayliner Trophy before and anything over a 2' chop would cause me to duck and hide or go real slow. I'm expecting this Wooldridge to eat that up and continue cruising at twice the speed my old boat would.
    Are you planning on new or used? (There doesn't seem to be much inventory on used)

Also, what other brands are you looking at that would be knocking the Wooldridge?

BK
    One never knows how rough it's going to get when out. Can't always trust those NOAA forecasts. Personally, I don't like to go out in anything over a foot LOL but that's not going to happen often. We fish in various conditions but try not to fish in anything over say 6' depending on the duration and wind. Just getting to old for that. But you know when the tuna are running you just have to go for it sometimes.

Planning on new. I haven't seen many used boats of any brand that are a big enough deal to not go new. Won't say what brand but will say it
    was a dealer who sells both fiberglass and alum. boats. I also read someplace but can't remember where that if rough the Wooldridge will beat you. Then again if rough most boats will.

Any interest in a Wooldridge boat owners "Meet and Greet" over the summer in PWS? Open to river/ocean/lake boats. Big raft-up in one of the coves near Whittier.

I'm in, assuming I will be on days off at the time.
    Propnut, How many other Woolies do you see out there?
    We see plenty of Glaciercrafts and tons of the Hewescraft but can't recall alot of Wollies in PWS. Of course now I will see lots since I bought one.
    BK
    PS- Great videos on Youtube from your AAB trip last summer.

Anyone else?? Seems like a lot of Woolie owners here.

Our Wooly build (29' SS Piltohouse) is scheduled to be completed for pick up Memorial Day weekend. Would love to hook up with other Wooly owners at PWS.

I'm in. Need to get a date on the calander and start planning. I will get a hold of Sportdrifter and include him in this thread as he knows quit a few Wooldridge owners. 1st annual Wooldridge boat owners regatta. Date - TBA

Quote Originally Posted by VC805 View Post
    Hi, was wondering how you guys like your boats. How does it handle big swell? I've heard they ride like a cork and pound due to their being light relative to size. Any issues in general? Thinking real hard about getting one but would like some real world feedback. I've done a lot of reading but I really haven't found much on how they handle. What I've been told is from other builders/dealers and you know how that goes right? Customer service seems to best bar none. Thanks for any input.
    I have had the pleasure to run a 23/25/27/and the 29ft Wooldridge Offshore boats, my father in law had a 25 and the 27 Bkmail just picked up. My friends have had the other 3 models. I can say they all ride good in the larger swells and the 29 is my favorite to run just for the room and comfort when out for multi day trips. They do handle great, the 2-3ft chop is no problem at cruise speed, just take some trim out and let the bow cut the chop. I had the 29 in some 12-15 ft rollers out side Seward, no white caps just big swells it handled them just fine lots of green faces that trip though!
    I don't believe thier lighter weight is a problem, just a plus for great fuel milage with lower hp engines and tow-a-bility with smaller rigs.

I don't see much difference in weight compared to a Hews/ Raider or similar aluminium offshore boat for a dealer to say the Wooldridge is that much lighter so they will beat you up since they are lighter than brand X boats. I do have a friend with a 26 WB Pilot with twin 140 Suzuki's, he had a 26 or 27ft Sea Sport with twin ib engines before this boat, he has remarked that he does notice the boat is lighter than his old boat especially when at anchor and the passing boat wakes or the sea swells rock the boat the WB does roll or pitch more as compared the old Sea Sport it would just slap up against it.
    I can send you a PM with his contact info, he is more that happy to share some comparisons with you. I see from your posts you are chasing tuna, give Glen or Grant Wooldridge a call they can get you in touch with several guys with the boat that are fishing way offshore in the WA/Or area. I know I have talked with a guy with a 29 that is an avid tuna fisherman. Give Mike Miller with Miller Marine a call he is in the Portland area he has a 26 ft pilot there may still be a build thread on his boat on here.

I know they "WB" were contemplating a 30ft x 10ft model and asked arround to many customers on thier wish list if they were to build thier boat over did they wan't more deadrise and the overwhelming responce was no.
    Why not stop by the shop from the looks of the numbers of Offshore boats in there you should give them a call and go for a ride with all those new boats they are bound to need some time on the water with one or two of them. Good Luck

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on visting the plant in mid June. I'm looking at getting a 23'. It's really between Woolie and a Canadian builder (not Silver Streak). Will visit that shop as well. Again, I appreciate the info.

VC805 I can't seem to send you a Pm yet, I have some phone numbers for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    VC805 I can't seem to send you a Pm yet, I have some phone numbers for you.
    Can't seem to send a PM either. I put my email address on your "view profile" page.

VB805, I had a 23 foot Wooly PH and numerous other ocean boats and have ridden in many others. IMHO the Wooly rides better than Kingfishers through chops, gets better mileage than Hewes and is probably the best all-around boat in a smaller size alloy boat. Not the cheapest but a good value considering factory service and efficiency. I miss my little Wooley...

Older thread....anyone still interested in getting together for a Wooly party on the water this summer?

Maybe late April.....?
    Bk

I'm in.....
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Me too!...............
    The Tug is the Drug
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2007 Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - Evinrude Etec 225 - "Eagle VI"

Quote Originally Posted by VC805 View Post
    Any boat will ride fine in a swell with no chop on top. When the wind is a steady 15-20 gusting 25 or better the haul design makes a huge difference. The bow entry is the key to cutting the chop. If you want great ride and a boat that can handle rough wx get a steep bow entry and dead rise. If you just want efficiency go flatter, just don't expect it to handle rough sea conditions as well.