Thread: 40 s&w

Default 40 s&w

I am thinking about loading for my glock model 22 in 40 S&W. Have loaded for all kinds of rifles and several revolvers but no semi-autos. I have a single stage press and about anything else that I would need. Is this a simple process to load for a semi-auto? How do you set the seating die to seat and crimp in one step? I can use some information on this. Thanks.

The .40 S&W is a fairly easy round to reload. My wife carries a G27 and likes to practice so she keeps me busy. I use a separate die for seating and crimping. It is possible to do both in one step but I've always preferred two steps. I run a Dillon 550B and if I get started early in the morning, I can do 1000 rounds before lunch. If you plan to reload for volume, you'll spend a lot of time at the bench trying to feed that G22 using a single stage press.
    JMHO
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I use a single stage, but I seat and crimp in the same die. I may not pump out huge amounts of ammo but how often do you plan on using a thousand rounds?

Most reloading die sets come with instructions for seating and crimping in one step, as well as seating without crimping. I used to use my single stage to load for my 40 and my 9mm, 100 rounds at a time. Not as fast as my progressive, but not an all-day affair, either.
    If your dies don't have instructions, you can find and download them at the die manufacturer's website.
    Don't want no one to get hurt, but if yore gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

I've always seated and crimped in the same stroke using RCBS dies. Set your die up for it, load a couple, then try cycling them through your gun to make sure it is set up right (to be ultra safe, load them without primer and powder). Shouldn't be an issue.

Remember you want a 'tapered' crimp and not a rolled crimp like on a 44 mag. I use the seat/crimp die in one station. I am using RCBS die and a older Piggy back set up. I can not do as many as a Dillon but my gear is paid for. If you do not one already, I would also sugget getting acase gage. They come in handy when there might be an issue. Have fun loading for the 40.