Thread: Daiwa interline bait rods?

Default Daiwa interline bait rods?

For the last couple seasons I've done all my bottom fishing with jigging rods. A combination of planning on taking several overnight trips this season where I can see soaking bait while on the hook, and planning on upgrading a few reels that I might as well get some rods for.

I know B&J has been pushing the interline and believe a few folks are using them. How do you like them in comparison to a conventional rod w/ guides?
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Love mine, use them for trolling and there's a lot less junk to get hung up when the flashers and such are flying around.
    Only downside I've seen so far is they are challenging to thread braided line through if you don't have the little spring threader thing they come with, but I've since switched back to mono so that is a non issue now.
    Good luck!

The last year I heard that Diawa had stopped making the Daiwa Interline Rod. So the 100lb rated ones at B&J may be the last. I just got thru changing out the tips on the last 3 that I own. The rods are good all purpose rods that can handle big fish. The down side is that you get a nick in the end guide and it will cut your line under pressure. They could have also put a better reel seat on them. At one time I had 16 of them and now I am down to 3. I like the Daiwa SLQ56xxhf 5'6 xxh better but they have also stopped making them. I use a piece of Tig welding rod to tread the interlines.

Charterboat Operator

Still running 8 of them on my boat, as DD said GREAT all purpose rod, I am running the 80# ones, found a stash or replacement tips a couple of years ago. so got a few spares. If you use ANY of the interline rods, be sure to put a bead on your main line before the swivel. the ceramic tips are easy to break if the swivel is cranked into the tip. usually during excitement The bead is definitly a save all.
    the seats on the Diawa's are weak, but can handle years of charter service, so dont think you would wear them out any time soon.
    Look at Trustworthy in Soldotna, last trip thru they had several on clearance. I did pick up a couple of spares, just in case someone decides to throw another outfit over the side this season!!

I have 6 in 3 different weights. My absolute favorite rod is my 7' Interline, I think the rating is 80, with Avet LX 6.0. Light enough that chickens are still fun, strong enough for big fish/current. My wife has same one. We have two of the heavier ones, and two very light that have Abu salmon reels. Those are great for rockfish too. All mine have been plenty durable. B&J taught me about the bead when I bought my first one, so that has avoided tip problems so far.

Does anyone know where to get replacement tips for the interlines? I have a couple that need them (after loaning them out...my bad!) Thanks! Mike

Bnjsg had the last batch made of the heaviest version but had to order them in a 150 qty. That was two years ago. I suspect when they burn through those the will have more made. Although now that I am not there tackle and rod purchaser anymore for bnjsg there new purchaser surely doesn't order they way we used to As the store has changed alot in the last year and a half. If you go in ask for mike Olsen he knows alot about said rods.

The last time I purchased replacement tips I got them from a Diawa repair center in Hawaii. I did an internet search for Daiwa Interline SL-XB561XXHF-1 and only came up with 2 sites that had them in stock. B&J in Anchorage and some place in Austraila.

I have some originals I bought at Pay less back in 94 maybe? The 20-40lb line is my favorite. I've caught many halibut up to 100lbs on it and some huge skates. Still going after near 20 years of hard use and thousands of fish. I have 8 or 9 of them.

Glad to hear the rods work so well, but hearing about the issue of rod tips has me a bit leary.

I have been using beads on my rods to keep overzelous people from cranking up the swivels and cracking the tips.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I like my interline, can't remember the exact weight, though. Definitely use the bead. jamesjq is right that it can be tough to re-run braid down the barrel (impossible if the barrel or line is wet) without the threader tool.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

While it may not work on your boat could a person possibly use a vaccuum to help thread the line?
    I know electricians do it all the time with conduit. They use or make what they call a mouse sometimes just using a ziplock bag and air to form sort of a small balloon and attach some thin line to it. The vaccuum sucks it right through the conduit then they tie on their rope and finally the wire to the rope. With fishing line it would be fairly easy and the vaccuum would probably just suck the line up without the mouse.
    Just a thought I had while reading this.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by CG Boating Safety View Post
    Does anyone know where to get replacement tips for the interlines? I have a couple that need them (after loaning them out...my bad!) Thanks! Mike
    check with Eldon at Tackle Repair, here in Anch, he might still have a few.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    check with Eldon at Tackle Repair, here in Anch, he might still have a few.
    Bnj should as well.

Thanks guys, I'll check with B&J and Eldon! I found out that re-threading braided line is easy enough, simply hold the rod with the tip down and dribble water down the hole and feed the line through, just takes a few seconds and comes right out the tip end. Works like a charm! Mike

B&J's does have an assortment as of last week when I was in there.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    B&J's does have an assortment as of last week when I was in there.
    Rumor has it they will have many of these at the Sport Show this weekend.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Great. I'm looking for 2 of them.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

They have them there. $180 a pop.