Thread: Moose rescue on Alexander Creek, or just another day in the Bush!

Default Moose rescue on Alexander Creek, or just another day in the Bush!

Interesting day for some of us creek people!59735_10151276345511666_142873934_n.jpg

Did you tie that moose up out back till huntin' season? Just kidding...nice there was someone around who noticed, and helped the poor critter out of it's predicament.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Nice work!
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

I haven't seen her in a day but I am not too optimistic. She looked like she had been in for a while and she seemed fairly weak hanging around for a day or so, easy for a stressed weak moose to get sick you know. But that is the way nature goes. It can be cruel but maybe she can cheat it this time?

Don't spread the details and who was involved around too much. The fish-n-game folks get all bent out of shape when private citizens assist wildlife. But it's good to see another example of how folks can do better work than the government.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Don't spread the details and who was involved around too much. The fish-n-game folks get all bent out of shape when private citizens assist wildlife. But it's good to see another example of how folks can do better work than the government.
    I know what you mean, but I dont worry about them. If they want to fine me I guess I'll have to pay it because I would do it again! I noticed they have the story up on thier website too! I suspect they will leave me alone, Living out here alot of them know us, especially the biologist. Besides I would tell the judge that as a citizen of the state of Alaska the rescources belong to me and all I was doing was protecting the resources!

You bring up a good point about the government also. We raised a baby calf one summer and was doin fine with it and then was talked into handing over to the Moose federation and then we found out the calf was euthenized for research. Wont do that again either. i f the situation arose with another calf I would raise it for a few months and the just send it out on its own. The few people I trust are field workers and biologist, most of them get it.

Good on yah!
    Had some friends a few years ago come across a Moose through the ice. They were skiing but had some climbing gear along and manged to set up a pulley system and haul the beast out. It was so weak it coudn't stand. Now get this, they built a snow wall to get the Moose out of the wind, built a fire and covered the Moose in a reflective blanket. Waited until it was pretty late and left the fire stoked. Came back the next day and it was up happily browsing in the Willows. Tough critters.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Great job!

Great job by all.

Waited until it was pretty late and left the fire stoked. Came back the next day and it was up happily browsing in the Willows.
    This sentence could have easily been...."Came back the next day and it was happily roasting marsh mellows"...I can't help but picture the Moose sitting near the fire relaxing, like a kids story I would read my boys...hahaha.