Thread: hunting with a 280AI

Default hunting with a 280AI

so found a gun I like in 280ackley improved and just curious what those of you who have them like about them.. how do they perform a distance.... Its in a light weight gun and although a right hand and Im left hand I really like it..will be the kids some day so not too worried about the bolt being on the wrong side.. appreciate any input..

Had at 280AI and loved it. Originally bought it for the wife but being so light it kicked like a mule. I spent alot of time with it and took a goat, black bear, caribou and moose with it. It was a tack driver and was a very fast shooter. The reason I gave it up was because it was the start of the ammo scare 5 years ago and since I don't reload I sold it. It was a great gun but I am happy with my choice. Ammo will be your biggest thing...

Man, Steve, that is backwards thinkin'....you needed to buy the reloading stuff, not sell the rifle!!!

Bear, I've messed with the 280AI very little but my initial impression that it's so close to the 7mm RM that they're ballistically interchangeable- you're not going to do much with either the other couldn't accomplish equally as well. Folks could really get into the numbers and point out all the various velocity differences with a bunch of different bullet weights but in large I believe it's just too little difference to care about in a hunting rifle. The 140AB Nosler load shot lights out in the one I fired.

If you like the rifle, I'd go for it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Bear, I've messed with the 280AI very little but my initial impression that it's so close to the 7mm RM that they're ballistically interchangeable- you're not going to do much with either the other couldn't accomplish equally as well. Folks could really get into the numbers and point out all the various velocity differences with a bunch of different bullet weights but in large I believe it's just too little difference to care about in a hunting rifle. The 140AB Nosler load shot lights out in the one I fired.

If you like the rifle, I'd go for it.
    Appreciate all the incoming advice.. Hodgeman yeah to be perfectly honest I never even thought of a 280 in my arsenal and simply know very little about is besides the little I read round here on the forum.. my plan was and still may be a 257wby but when you hold a nice rifle in your hand vs ordering one well....ya know..lol

My 280 AI is my favorite gun in the safe. I'm shooting 160 gr barnes @ 3025 FPS, with the right barrel and scope along with a new jewel trigger, this rifle shoots way better than when it was a 280 Rem. as far as shooting distance performance, I can hit a paper plate at 500 yards shooting off a shooting sled, I never tried further distances and don't think I will be trying to kill anything further than 300-400 yds. According to Nosler, its fast becoming a popular round among western mountain game.

What gun did you find? I am patiently waiting for boondocks or anyone locally, to get a kimber montana in, (hopefully before summer) but if I find a Forbes in 280 rem. sooner I might just take it & run.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    According to Nosler, its fast becoming a popular round among western mountain game.
    Yeah- the Nosler guys are pumped about this one. The rifle I fired was a 48 using their 140gr ammo....three shot bug holes for several shooters. Very nice.

I could probably do almost anything I'd want to with one.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Kimber Montana 280 AI with 3.5 x 10 CDS VXIII, Seemed to do the trick on these two last year. Goat was at 300 yards with Nosler Trophy Grade 140's and moose at just over 100 yards with 150 hand load 150 grain partition's. Go for it and you will never regret it, great round and great gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    Kimber Montana 280 AI with 3.5 x 10 CDS VXIII, Seemed to do the trick on these two last year. Goat was at 300 yards with Nosler Trophy Grade 140's and moose at just over 100 yards with 150 hand load 150 grain partition's. Go for it and you will never regret it, great round and great gun.
    Nice...!!!

I've always heard the 280 AI is a great round. Question.....on the goat, where the blood is, is that the entrance or exit? Where exactly did you hit him and how did he go down.....just curious....Thanks......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Nice...!!!

I've always heard the 280 AI is a great round. Question.....on the goat, where the blood is, is that the entrance or exit? Where exactly did you hit him and how did he go down.....just curious....Thanks......
    The first shot hit him a little far back, I was shooting in gusting 20-30 mile an hour wind and I shot as his nose and it still drifted too far back, next shot he was moving up the hill and I busted his front shoulder and he went down in a creek which washed away almost all the blood, he wasn't quite dead yet and tore up the creek he was in hence the filthy hide, I put one more in his neck to finish him off once we got over to him. The side you see in the picture was what was facing me when we shot him. Extremely tough animals, much respect.....

Bear, I picked up a Kimber Montana in a 280 AI last year and love it. Pretty similar to a 7mm mag but in a shorter action lightweight pkg 6 lbs 8 oz or so. I shoot 140gr Accubonds and my gun loves them. After shooting it quite a bit before the season I was confident enough to take a 381 yrd shot on a beautiful ram last year, one shot kill. Took three deer on Kodiak with same result as usual more about placement than anything, but so far so good. Usually 280 AI do not lay around for sale for very long as they have a good following and generally are very marketable. Best of luck.

You should get it and if you don't like it give it to me.