Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strong side or cross draw

Default Strong side or cross draw

Need some opinions on a holster. I'm looking to have Earl at Trailmaster Holsters make me a holster for my Ruger alaskan 454. Not sure if I want Strong side or cross draw. It will be used for hiking in backcountry. I normally go strong side but am wondering if cross draw is a better option. Having never had a CD holster im not sure if this will be a better option. Any thoughts are appreciated ?

I cross draw because the butt of the pistol hits my pack frame if carried conventional.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

All depends on personal preference. If you're right handed, and you keep your Leatherman pouch on the right side, cell phone, Mini-Maglite, etc..... it gets crowded. You want the most important thing (the handgun) holstered where you are most comforatble drawing it.

Cross draw as its easy to grab with either hand.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Cross draw or far better yet get yourself a Diamond-D chest rig.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Crossdraw holsters are usually more comfortable to wear while seated and tend to be less obtrusive in other ways (as already noted they do not get in the way of a pack frame). Various holsters are more concealable, perhaps faster to manipulate, and so forth, but a quality crossdraw is very comfortable IME.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Cross draw or far better yet get yourself a Diamond-D chest rig.
    I actually have a diamond d. That i'll use most often when packing being it will not get in the way of the hip holster and is always on me even when i take my pack off. I was thinking more for day hikes with a small pack and even around town.

Speaking of Diamond D holsters. Does anyone find theirs really tight? I need two hands to pull my 454 out. ONe to grip the gun and the other to hold the holster. I was thinking of putting in a smaller rubber bushing.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by bluehammer View Post
    Speaking of Diamond D holsters. Does anyone find theirs really tight? I need two hands to pull my 454 out. ONe to grip the gun and the other to hold the holster. I was thinking of putting in a smaller rubber bushing.
    Doesn't it have a tension screw to adjust?

Mine does. I can make it tighter or looser.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by bluehammer View Post
    Need some opinions on a holster. I'm looking to have Earl at Trailmaster Holsters make me a holster for my Ruger alaskan 454. Not sure if I want Strong side or cross draw. It will be used for hiking in backcountry. I normally go strong side but am wondering if cross draw is a better option. Having never had a CD holster im not sure if this will be a better option. Any thoughts are appreciated ?
    Chest is best for keepin it outa the way, but I've always managed quite well with a beeg handgun on my strong side hip.

Cross draw is jist lookin for trouble in the form of buckbrush in the gun and holster.

That can largely be avoided when the gun is on yer Hip because you can shield it by walking sorta sideways and even shielding it with your hand and arm.

If you wanna test the validity of that, wear any holster in cross draw position and pick your way through willows' woods, and swamps.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Chest is best for keepin it outa the way, but I've always managed quite well with a beeg handgun on my strong side hip.
    Chest holsters are always competting with a binocular and I'm more apt to go out without my boots than without my binocular......

Cross draw is jist lookin for trouble in the form of buckbrush in the gun and holster.

That can largely be avoided when the gun is on yer Hip because you can shield it by walking sorta sideways and even shielding it with your hand and arm.

If you wanna test the validity of that, wear any holster in cross draw position and pick your way through willows' woods, and swamps.

SOTN
    I been crossdrawing for years "through willows' woods, and swamps," such as we have around here and have never had a problem, but I'll admit I use a quality holster which is secure by design. Having gone a couple different routes you can make mine a crossdraw every time........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Pack frames and strong side don't get along. Less so for frameless packs, but since my favorite pack has an external frame........

The pack is kinda of booger in the jelly so to speak.

You might look to see (if a new pack is in the budget) if any of the current packs in your desired size range have a built in holster on the hip belt. It solves a lot of problems, if the holster fits your gun OK and is positioned where you can reach it easy. Until you take the pack off... I have a moderate sized day pack with a holster (actually one on each side) that holds an Xframe or Nframe size revolver pretty good. Made by Badlands I think, but mine is several years old, I haven't looked at their current lineup lately.

Otherwise I agree with all of the above, once you get enough gear on you have to start making compromises. Or something like that.

You might also consider the strong side holster and use it in crossdraw fashion if the need arises. With the short barrel it shouldn't be a problem.

I actually have 2 holsters for my 44. I use either the Side holster or the Chest holster depending.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Chest holsters are always competting with a binocular and I'm more apt to go out without my boots than without my binocular......

I been crossdrawing for years "through willows' woods, and swamps," such as we have around here and have never had a problem, but I'll admit I use a quality holster which is secure by design. Having gone a couple different routes you can make mine a crossdraw every time........
    Watch Out!

You're about to lose your gun. The butt hooked on a branch.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty youíre a pullin it around too fur to the off side maybe, I never hat trouble with it coming out from cross draw. Never packed much strong side because first time I ever did I was horseback leading a pack mule, the mule balked at water, I dallied the lead rope, it went under the holster then came tight. The holster turned up, stabbed a Ruger hammer into my side and smarted real good till I could get things sorted out. I got all kind of colors on my side there that eventually turned into some huge boil looking thing. So I figure wherever you got it there will be some issues.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Both depending on what I'm doing.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Both depending on what I'm doing.
    That's the best answer for me too, come to think of it.

Doesn't it have a tension screw to adjust?

Mine does. I can make it tighter or looser.

SOTN
    yes, but even at the loosest setting, i really have to pull hard to get it out. Need two hands to do it.

I have a holster from Simply Rugger that has slots for strong side and crossdraw. Also, when wearing a pack, I just thread an uncle mikes holster on the waist belt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast