Thread: Yamaha Nitro FX?

Default Yamaha Nitro FX?

Anyone riding one? I'm looking for a newer sled and the Nytro definaltey has my interest. I know they are heavier but the mpg and reliability sound impressive. Just looking for some info from someone with experience with these machines. I'm thinking a 144 track but the 153 isin't out of the question.

THanks

I ride a XTX (144 track). What would you like to know?

Quote Originally Posted by cjjeeper View Post
    I ride a XTX (144 track). What would you like to know?
    How do you like it- compared to your previous sleds? gas mileage, deep snow performance. cold weather starting like say -20

Lots of us are waiting to see what next year's Yamaha/Arctic Cat joint venture brings, especially the Viper sled that's been shown on the internet. The Nytro engine has never lacked for appeal but so far Yamaha hasn't been able to set it up on a chassis that equaled the engine. Maybe next year? I had two '09 Nytro XTXs and quickly sold/switched to SkiDoos. I've never regretted that decision.

Pid, I thought for sure you were brand loyal to yammy's. With your knowledge and experience with newer machines, when you make a switch to Ski-doo.......folks better pay close attention to your advice.

I agree with you, if I were to throw down the cash for a new machine.......it would definitely be a Ski-doo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    How do you like it- compared to your previous sleds? gas mileage, deep snow performance. cold weather starting like say -20
    Here are the strong points for the XTX in my opinion:
    Reliability - I will ride my yamaha alone, no problem.
    Fun - The motor torque is addicting and just a lot of fun to ride.
    80% Factor - the 144" 1.75 backcountry track outfitted machine will cover 80% of all riding.
    Flexible Platform - you can use it as a utility sled and then unload and ride it for fun.

Short comings:
    Gas mileage may be good but it only carries 7.5 gallons (so advantage negated).
    It is heavy (but once you learn how to get the front end cleared of snow it's not that big of a deal).
    You have to relocate the tail light to use the tunnel for extra gear and then you need an exhaust turnout.

Generally speaking -- I love my XTX and I don't see me selling mine. It is truly a very versatile machine. I can ride it in deep snow as long as the snow is not that dry, January type powder. I can tell you I had to upgrade both the rear shocks as the stockers are not really useful to be honest. I also had to replace the front shock springs as they were (09) way over spec'd for the application and made the front end handling a nightmare.

No problems starting down to -30. There is a batch of fuel relays out there somewhere that freeze up at those temps but if your battery is good it will start.

Again - yes it's heavy and over engineered but it is what it is. After you learn to work with it it's not that big of a liability unless you are looking for a true performance sled. In that case I would buy another brand. (I can recommend Arctic Cat since that is what I have for that :-))

You can go as far as a 2" track by removing the tunnel protectors but to go taller than that you have to get after market 7 tooth drivers. The 1.75 hooks up great in anything except maybe over 2' of dry powder as I mentioned.

All depends on what you want to do with it.

I am intimately familiar with this machine and I can answer more questions if you have more.

I'm not a hardcore hill climber so I don't think the weight will be too big of an issue. My old sled was listed @ 495 lb dry and the Nytro MTX is 540 lbs I think? Doesn't seem like that big of deal- they are all heavy when stuck. I like the idea of the 4 stroke Yamaha dependabiltiy and longevity. I'm looking @ 2010 or newer MTX, they come with the Fox Float 2 any experience with this setup? Makes me a little nervous not having springs anywhere in the suspension- but tech is always changing. Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    I'm not a hardcore hill climber so I don't think the weight will be too big of an issue. My old sled was listed @ 495 lb dry and the Nytro MTX is 540 lbs I think? Doesn't seem like that big of deal- they are all heavy when stuck. I like the idea of the 4 stroke Yamaha dependabiltiy and longevity. I'm looking @ 2010 or newer MTX, they come with the Fox Float 2 any experience with this setup? Makes me a little nervous not having springs anywhere in the suspension- but tech is always changing. Thanks for all the input.
    Yes, I have run the float 2s on my AC in the front and I have them in the rear. I used them for engine break in. They are adequate for most riding but I swapped mine out for a set of coil overs (Exits) on the front and I am swapping out the rears this summer.

I would recommend you run them and just see if you feel like they are lacking in performance for your riding style and if so then upgrade, if not, run 'em. On thing to note, if you are buying used you may want to spend the money ($35-50 ea) to have them rebuilt so you know where your baseline is (so you are not running a worn out shock).

And make sure you get the pump with the machine.