Thread: Breeding Labradors?

Default Breeding Labradors?

I have a male lab (black). He has some good bloodlines and he looks great if you like the block head looking labs he is registered AKC. I have taken him after upland birds @ 5 months and he did great he loves the water but I never had the chance too test him on that due to work. I am looking to breed this guy with another quality lab (chocolate black or yellow color isn't that important to me) I am not looking to charge a stud fee I am looking to acquire another quality pup or two if anybody on here might be interested you can send me a pm I will post a pic soon ...my profile says Fairbanks but I just moved to wasilla
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

I have a couple of questions, the same questions I would ask of the owner of the potential Dam.

#1 How old is your dog currently?

#2 Have you had OFA Hips & Elbows along with CERF Tests done?

#3 Has your dog been checked or cleared by parentage of EIC & CNM?
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

yes on hips and elbows no on the rest

He is 4 years

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    yes on hips and elbows no on the rest
    The reason I asked the age was you cant get OFA Hips & Elbows done until they are 2 years old. If you want to breed and keep a puppy for yourself, I would assume you would do everything you could to ensure the health and well being of the pups. I would get the other tests done on your dog. I wouldnt breed him to any dog that didnt have the same health clearances. Just my opinion!
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    The reason I asked the age was you cant get OFA Hips & Elbows done until they are 2 years old. If you want to breed and keep a puppy for yourself, I would assume you would do everything you could to ensure the health and well being of the pups. I would get the other tests done on your dog. I wouldnt breed him to any dog that didnt have the same health clearances. Just my opinion!

As the owner of a Lab with EIC I heartily concur! The last thing we need is for this wonderful breed to deteriorate or for existing known genetic diseases to proliferate due to careless breeding. There are lots of reputable breeders out there (including in AK) and I'd strongly suggest getting future dogs from them, not engaging in raising your own litters unless both dog and b*tch are clear of all genetic diseases AND you have already lined up homes for a litter of 8+ puppies.