Thread: Landing sites in the Talkeetna's

Default Landing sites in the Talkeetna's

I want to play around in the Talkeena's this summer and do some landing and t/o's. Just for fun and practice, also because its close to ANC . I'm mostly wondering if there are a bunch of strips long enough for a 180 or are they few and far between? I'm not looking for any bodies secret spots. Thanks in advance Tom

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I want to play around in the Talkeena's this summer and do some landing and t/o's. Just for fun and practice, also because its close to ANC . I'm mostly wondering if there are a bunch of strips long enough for a 180 or are they few and far between? I'm not looking for any bodies secret spots. Thanks in advance Tom
    Some of us could list some strips in the Talkeetnas, but first most of us would want to know your skill level. Your C-180 will easily work off 500' strips, but can you? I'm not trying to be funny here, just being practical. I wouldn't want to be the one who led you to some disaster out there.

Grizzly2,
    I wish I could tell a person skill level by talking to them. I've had a few experience moose hunting partners that were better talkers than hunters. LOL

Take my word for it that I wouldn't land anywhere I couldn't handle and 500' is too short for a 180 to operate on with any safety margins. I'm out to have fun not risk damage to the plane or myself and passengers. I've flown in and out of 7-800' with big rock at gross and needed all if I didn't use the brakes which cause rocks to fly. After re-skinning the stab and fixing a stone hit on the prop no thanks to rocky short stuff, aft all owning and paying for the equipment is quite different than blasting around in somebody else's plane. That was grapefruit sized rocks in the arctic. Sandy bars and small gravel and 800 is Ok.

The vast majority of strips I can think of in the Talkeetna’s are more Cub strips than 180 strips. There are some longer old mining strips behind Eureka scattered around. Some of those are in good shape, some have decayed pretty badly. A few fly overs would be recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Take my word for it that I wouldn't land anywhere I couldn't handle and 500' is too short for a 180 to operate on with any safety margins. I'm out to have fun not risk damage to the plane or myself and passengers. I've flown in and out of 7-800' with big rock at gross and needed all if I didn't use the brakes which cause rocks to fly. After re-skinning the stab and fixing a stone hit on the prop no thanks to rocky short stuff, aft all owning and paying for the equipment is quite different than blasting around in somebody else's plane. That was grapefruit sized rocks in the arctic. Sandy bars and small gravel and 800 is Ok.
    There are a couple around the Peters Hills, including the Petersville strip. Some of the ridges are okay, too. Nugget Bench should be all right for you and your C-180, as would be Chelatna Lake and the Mills Creek Mine strip. there's a small mining strip down along the creek that Nugget Creek dumps into. A little confined, but suitable if you don't get too nervous. There are others, but you should probably avoid them. Don Sheldon and I used several of the smaller ones for moose, but they're really short. Graham Mower, former owner of Chelatna Lake Lodge used a few, too, and his ship was a standard C-170 with the original 145-hp engine.