Thread: New Yamaha grizz problems

Default New Yamaha grizz problems

I just bought two new Yamaha grizzlies, a 450 (for my girl) and a 700 for me. I love both machines but they are both in the shop already. The 700 is not idiling right, it keeps cutting off. It has been getting better but its got 100 miles on it now and its still doing it.
    The 450 ran perfect the first time out but the second time out it started right away and ran good for 20 mins but we stopped and it wouldn't start back. It just made a noise when we pushed the starter. We pull started it and it ran fine but the screen was blank or flashing we got half way back to the truck and it just back fired and quit. It started back after about ten min but quit again at the truck. I just dropped them both off at the shop (Thank God for warranties!!) Both machines have been taken care of -- No Jim's creek or hard riding---still breaking in.
    I was wondering if anybody else has had any troubles?

Both?? - Bad fuel maybe?? If so, your warranty may not cover it.

I know it's not bad fuel. The 700 has 110 miles on it already. It was cutting off a lot the first fews trips but it has gotten better. i wouldn't have took it to the shop yet but I was pissed about the 450 so I went ahead and let them check it out too.

Wow, sounds like a problem I had with an Arctic Cat 500 back in 01. I took it back and bought the Griz instead.

Although my Buddys yamdog rides better this is the reason I went RED. His Griz was in the shop 4 or 5 times last year. The first was for the same reason had to do with wiring heating up somewhere. If you need to know pm me and I will ask him where exactly. Glad he bought it though my Honda loves getting its picture taken towing other brands out! (j/k sort of)

We run 2 Grizzly 700s and 2 Grizzly 450s. 1,400 miles on the 700s and 500 miles on the 450s. No problems so far.

Hopefully it
    Last edited by bnkwnto; 05-09-2007 at 23:39. Reason: mistake

Well, I loved the machines (the 700 kicks ass) until they quit on me. It's fun going places in two wheel drive and watching your buddies behind you on hondas and polarises getting stuck in 4 wheel drive.(mudlite XTRs help)
    I hope it was just something simple and everything is good now. Hopefully, the shop well have them ready tomorrow and I'll pick them up and won't have anymore problems. We have been going out to Jonesville road in Sutton, awesome place. We will try to find a new place to ride this weekend and see how everything works out.

bnkwnto, you can electronically adjust the fule mixture with the new 700's. The details are stetchy to me but it seems with a few clicks of a button the fule ratio is changed. Maybe your's is a tad rich for our Alaskan climate. Just a thought.

Also pull every single electrical connection and pack it dielectric grease. Spark plug boots, battery terminals, and all electronics. Maybe water is getting in somewhere where it isn't supposed to be.

Default 2007 660

I have the 660 and it had problems this winter when it was real cold out
    -10 or below. I took it in and it ran fine for them. ( ofcourse ) I ran " heet"
    in 1 tank of gas and it's been fine since. I add a little heet evry tank now. Must have been bad gas. It's a sweet ride. Looking forward to it haulling out a moose!!!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default Grizz 700

I also own a grizz 700 and have no problems. I have about 100 miles on it. As water gremlin states you can adjust the fuel/air mixture. Ive done it and it does work. Runs very smooth. Sounds to me like you got either bad gas or as water gremlin states your air/fuel mixture might be a tad rich. Sounds more like bad gas to me. Let us know how it went.

Maybe the dealer didn't prep it right???

I can't begin to tell you the number of times adding some "heet" to the fuel of either our atv's or snowmobiles or our riding buddies machines has saved the day. I have no idea how water gets into the fuel system but it does and I am very careful.
    Your problems may or may not be fuel related but I just wanted to add a plug for everyone to carry a container of heet (red bottle) while they are out riding.
    Tennessee

Sometimes with big thumpers and carbed machines the bowl screws, or any of the carb screws for that matter, if not tightened properly will loosen up just a tad to allow water in the bowl. I have had this problem with my vtwin 750 and my brother had the same problem with his 660 raptor. It could be attributed to the vibration or user error when installing jet kits. I have not experienced this problem with my wife's rancher though, and I have pulled the carb on occasion.

But with a fuel injected machine I wouldnt be able to blame it on loose carb screws.

My bet, and you can quote me here, is your dealer will blame it on Jim Creek silt. Been there done that.........

Default all better

I picked the machines up from the dealer yesterday. They said they just had to adjust the idling on the 700 (plus I had them put on hand warmers). They said that the wire that connected the charging system to the battery was disconnected on the 450 so it wasn't charging the battery. We took them both out last night and they ran perfect. Love the machines!! I'm just glad that it was something simple. I didn't want to try to fix anything myself while they are still under warranty.
    THanks for the help!! See you on the Mountain!!

if they are brand new on the 450 check that the battery cables are tight, happend to me on 2 different machines. poor setup on the dealers part

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    I picked the machines up from the dealer yesterday. They said they just had to adjust the idling on the 700 (plus I had them put on hand warmers). They said that the wire that connected the charging system to the battery was disconnected on the 450 so it wasn't charging the battery. We took them both out last night and they ran perfect. Love the machines!! I'm just glad that it was something simple. I didn't want to try to fix anything myself while they are still under warranty.
    THanks for the help!! See you on the Mountain!!

Sounds to me like the mechanic who prepped the bikes missed a couple things. Good to hear they were able to identify the issues and fix them. Sounds like you have a couple nice machines. Enjoy!

I sold me second machine this week which was the Arctic Cat 500 auto and bought myself a second machine again. I have a Grizzly 660 and now have just bought a Grizzly 700 which I will pick up tomorrow (Saturday). I hope I like it as much as I think I will as I sure do like the 660. I hope I don't have any of the stalling problems with mine.