Thread: Haul Road Wolverine

Default Haul Road Wolverine

I saw this wolverine on the Haul Road the other day about 120 miles south of Prudhoe Bay. I wish I would have had my rifle with me as I could have stepped off the road and dispatched him. He was a dark black with chocolate covered shoulders. Would have made for a nice mount.

Cool. I think you meant to say that if you had your bow you would have stepped off the road and dispatched him right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Cool. I think you meant to say that if you had your bow you would have stepped off the road and dispatched him right?
    It's legal to use a firearm within the corridor if one has a trapping license and the target is governed under the trapping regs such as is the case with wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It's legal to use a firearm within the corridor if one has a trapping license and the target is governed under the trapping regs such as is the case with wolverine.
    Not saying your wrong Brian, but can you show me where it says that? Because according to page 119 of the hunting regs it reads as follows...

The area within the Prudhoe Bay Closed Area is closed to the taking of big game; the remainder of the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area is closed to hunting; however big game, small game, and fur animals may be taken in the area by bow and arrow only.

Just sayin. I could be wrong but I saw no such mention of what you are saying in either the hunting or trapping regs. I wish it were true though.

The area within the Prudhoe Bay Closed Area is closed to the taking of big game; the remainder of the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area is closed to hunting; however big game, small game, and fur animals may be taken in the area by bow and arrow only.
    Using a firearm to take a furbearer under the trapping regs is not legally considered hunting, it is considered trapping. As such, the above mentioned reg from page 119 of the hunting regulations does not apply. A similar situation is the statewide prohibition against using artificial light listed in the hunting regulations. That prohibition does not apply to the trapping regulations, thus one may use artificial light when "trapping" with a firearm.

I've not done it, so don't take my word for it - but other forum members have done so and have spoke to its legality. Last year at least one forum member took a wolf up there by firearm during the trapping season under the trapping regs and had it legally sealed. I'd call the wildlife Trooper for the area to get clarification, but again, hunting regulations do not apply when the person is operating under a trapping license during trapping season.

Sounds good to me. Have at her gutleap. Maybe I'll make it up there sometime myself during the predator season. I wasn't aware of this.

The trapping regs say that fur animals or big game animals (wolf and wolverine) can be taken under trapping regulations or under big game regulations that's from the trapping regulations I've looked into the codes and I'm confident that you can shoot under a trapping regs,

If I had full Internet access I'd pull up some more info but I can't at the moment

Not saying your wrong Brian, but can you show me where it says that? Because according to page 119 of the hunting regs it reads as follows...

Just sayin. I could be wrong but I saw no such mention of what you are saying in either the hunting or trapping regs. I wish it were true though.
    It is legal to take fur animals or furbearers with a firearm in the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area under a trapping license. The regulation you listed above from the hunting regs only pertains to hunting. Trapping is not prohibited in the DHCMA. Also, the prohibition under the hunting regs only pertains to big game, small game and fur animals. A wolverine is not classified as a fur animal, it is classified as a furbearer and also a big game animal.

This excerpt is from the trapping regulations on page 5:

Most furbearers are taken with either a trap (including foothold and killer-style traps) or snares, but can also be shot with a firearm unless specifically prohibited.....
    Furbearers that may be taken with a trapping license include beaver, coyote, artic fox, red fox, lynx, marten, mink, weasel, muskrat, river otter, squirrel, marmot (Alaska or hoary marmot and woodchucks), wolf, and wolverine. Some of these furbearers are also classified as fur animals (beaver, coyote, artic fox, red fox, lynx, and squirrel) or as big game animals (wolf and wolverine). Those species listed also as fur animals or big game animals may be taken under the trapping regulations using a trapping license or under the hunting regulations using a hunting license.

hereare copies of the Alaska administrative code (AAC) it defines that the DHCMA isclosed to Hunting and doesn’t say that you can take furbearers (as defined by 5AAC 92.990(21) as a fur animal taken from a trapping licenses. I read these things fro a living so I feel confident that you can trap with a rifle under a trapping licence

5 AAC 92.530 (7
    ) the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area:

(A) the area consists of thoseportions of Units 20 and 24 - 26 extending five miles from each side of theDalton Highway, including the driveable surface of the Dalton Highway, from theYukon River to the Arctic Ocean, and including the Prudhoe Bay Closed Area;
    (B) the area within the PrudhoeBay Closed Area is closed to the taking of big game; the remainder of theDalton Highway Corridor Management Area is closedto hunting; however, big game, smallgame, and fur animals may be taken in the area by bow and arrow only;
    5 AAC 92.990 (21) "furbearer"means a beaver, coyote, arctic fox, red fox, lynx, marten, mink, least weasel,short-tailed weasel, muskrat, land otter, red squirrel, flying squirrel, groundsquirrel, Alaskan marmot, hoary marmot, woodchuck, wolf, or wolverine;"furbearer" is a classification of animals subject to taking with atrapping license;

So its a go with a rifle for fur bearers if the trapping season is open and you have a trapping liscence?

Wow new to me

the place is becoming a zoo because of threads like this!!! fyi!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    So its a go with a rifle for fur bearers if the trapping season is open and you have a trapping liscence?

Wow new to me
    Yes. But don't tell anyone....

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    No doubt! Many places.

So you are saying it is OK to shoot a wolverine cruising down the Dalton Hwy, you are shooting this animal on the highway, while you are on the highway! This is not hunting but is considered trapping. So while trapping you can shoot a wolverine on a State Hwy with a firearm. Can you shoot him while you are driving trying to keep up with him? Do you really think that this is an ethical way to operate? Why would anyone want to shoot a wolverine cruising down the highway? Back in the early 90s we had some huge snow years, coming off a flying contract on the slope in Dec. I was driving south towards Coldfoot with ten foot high banks of snow on the Dalton. I got stuck behind a moose for awhile, who couldn't/wouldn't get off the road. Then a wolverine was cruising down the highway doing the lope that they do. I just slowed down to wolverine lope speed and waited for him to make his escape. He was just cruising down the middle of the highway in the dark. It is a shame that we have dumbasses with no ethics who would shoot a wolverine running down a road. Who cares whether it is legal or not....

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    So you are saying it is OK to shoot a wolverine cruising down the Dalton Hwy, you are shooting this animal on the highway, while you are on the highway! This is not hunting but is considered trapping. So while trapping you can shoot a wolverine on a State Hwy with a firearm. Can you shoot him while you are driving trying to keep up with him? Do you really think that this is an ethical way to operate? Why would anyone want to shoot a wolverine cruising down the highway? Back in the early 90s we had some huge snow years, coming off a flying contract on the slope in Dec. I was driving south towards Coldfoot with ten foot high banks of snow on the Dalton. I got stuck behind a moose for awhile, who couldn't/wouldn't get off the road. Then a wolverine was cruising down the highway doing the lope that they do. I just slowed down to wolverine lope speed and waited for him to make his escape. He was just cruising down the middle of the highway in the dark. It is a shame that we have dumbasses with no ethics who would shoot a wolverine running down a road. Who cares whether it is legal or not....
    It is not legal to shoot any animal while driving down the road, whether with a hunting or trapping license. However, if you see an animal that is legal to shoot while driving down the road, it is legal to stop and park your vehicle and pursue the animal on foot from the road. You can not shoot any animal while standing on the road. You can not shoot across the road if you are standing off the highway and the animal is on the other side of the road. However, if you step off the road and the animal you are pursuing is on the same side of the road as you it is considered legal. Whether it is ethical or not, or sporting or not is a different story. I think it is a little strange that if you spot an animal from an airplane, you have to wait until the next day to hunt or shoot it, but if you are driving a highway vehicle and spot something it is considered fair game. Seems kind of like a double standard to me. But, thousands of people do it. Just take a drive down the Denali Highway during September. Or the Haul Road during August. You will see thousands of people hunting caribou this way.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gutleap View Post
    I wish I would have had my rifle with me as I could have stepped off the road and dispatched him.
    As you can see he clearly states his intent would be to step off the road and legally harvest this animal "if" he had a gun and trapping license on him.
    I am sure if the wolverine had left the highway he would have still had time to safely stop and legally harvest this animal by stepping off the roadway before pulling the trigger..
    What is wrong or illegal about that?
    I believe It is still illegal to shoot to from on or across the driveable surface of any roadway trapping license or not and I don't see where anybody was advocating that.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    The only time of the year the Dalton is a zoo is during the fall when all the hunters are there.