Thread: Vibram soled boots junk for Alaska

Default Vibram soled boots junk for Alaska

Will never buy another pair of boots with Vibram soles. Hiking and hunting in these last year almost killed me walking on wet rocks with no mud on them using this type of sole. It was like walking on ice. Bought a pair of Cabela's outfitter series with Goodyear soles and never looked back. Now I use the Vibram soled boots for mowing the lawn in.

Yeah I second that; I had one pair of boots with Vibram soles, same experience, doubt I'll ever buy another.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Isn't it funny how the market makes these the pricier boots to buy bragging up this type of sole. I would not trust wearing these on a dall sheep or goat hunt maybe pheasant hunting would be more like it.

This is like saying ford or chevy vehicles are junk for Alaska. There are all types of different vehicles made by either manufacturer and they are not all suited for every situation. Here is a link to the vibram page showing a list of the different compounds available in different vibram soles. Vibram isn't a model, it is a brand.

http://www.vibram.com/index.php/us/B...nology/Mescole

That brand really sucks.

Like has been said already. There are different compounds that grip differently. One partner I had was slipping all over on the glacier with his brand boot and vibram sole while I was doing fine with my brand boot and vibram. It does suck to find out your high dollar boots have the wrong compound though

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIN907 View Post
    That brand really sucks.
    Again, Vibram is a brand, many of the top mountaineering boots/hunting boots have a type of sole that is made by Vibram. Vibram makes many different types of soles that will perform better in different conditions.

Isn't it funny how the market makes these the pricier boots to buy bragging up this type of sole. I would not trust wearing these on a dall sheep or goat hunt maybe pheasant hunting would be more like it.
    I've been running Lowa Civetta Plastics for 5 or 6 years now and have packed several rams out of pretty tricky terrain, crossed lots of streams and rivers with them as well. They have the old style vibram soles on them. They are not quite as soft/sticky as some other soles but they have held up to miles and miles of shale and other gnarly sheep terrain.

I still have some leather Soloman boots with what they call the Contragrip sole. Nice and sticky but after 2 sheep hunts they were shreaded. I now use em for dipnetting. They grip pretty good on wet rock.

I have some leather LaSportiva Glaciers with a vibram sole different than the Lowa Civettas. I don't wear these sheep hunting. Just general hiking and moose hunting in the hills. They are not very old and showing wear already. I think shale would shread them pretty quick.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

That brand really sucks.
    Perhaps, but a whole lot of really good climbers have used them in the past.

My Koflachs use vibram soles and I have no complaints, they worked great on my sheep hunts, on the tundra for caribou, and on the slippery grass of kodiak. We walked through streams and muddy tidal flats and had great traction.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I also own the Koflach degre's, they come with Vibram green dot soles, they are the highest quality sole out there,and they are the most durable ones with a soft feel, I never had any problems with them and I'm pretty rough on boots in sheep country. If there's a better sole out there let me know. I know cabelas and meindels boots may have vibrams but it might be of a different grade and made from a different country. I know the green dots come on the liskamms and plastic koflach degre.

Yeah the ones I had were Cabela's brand, bought in '01; they were ok on rock but absolutely deadly on ice.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I too run kofalchs with the vibram soles and believe the sole on them are awesome(with the green dot). I would instead look into the foot bed aswell as lace up system to the boot. They will slap a vibram sole on any boot these days. sounds like a boot with more ankle support and lacing system would have cured the problem.