Thread: underwater camera methods and a few fishing methods

Default underwater camera methods and a few fishing methods

what ways does every one use to suport/aim ect. there camera? how far from your fishing hole would you put it? or anything else that might be helpful. so does anyone use such things as cowbells hanging in seprate holes unbaited and unhooked just to look like a small school of bait fish maybe 3 or 4 of them? another favorite of mine is a flasher such as a heiring dodger and a flie, anyone have good sucess with that method if so how do yu rig yours. i use a marcum vs 380 camera and suport it with an extra ice scooper through a hoop after i find my depth at about 4-5 feet from my fishing hole. so far i have caught 4 times the fish at least due to many things you learn from the fish with a camera.

I drill two holes about six feet part and put my camera down so it is about two feet off the bottom (for perspective). I had good luck all year fishing near the bottom just jigging spoons of all colors. I have increased my catch rate maybe 10 fold due to using a camera. I can directly contribute at least 20 pike and maybe twice that in char and trout to using a camera. Plus it helps pass the time in the fish house and you can see how the fish are biting at the time and if they are even interested in the lure you're using. To answer your question in another post I use a Marcum SD625VS with a panner and will not leave the house without it anymore. I don't know how good the light on your 380 is at night but when a fish swims in at night it really lights it up. As of now I still don't know fish swam in front of the camera that night on Big Lake, but leaning toward a really big whitefish.

just a fyi if thats what it is and you see him again the record whitefish is 9 lbs in 1989 so catch him ive caught them before in big lake waters just very small. my cameras light is junk though it lights up about a tenth of thet screen and the rest is fuzy. its awsome in the day and i do ony fish in the day but want a better one. message me maybe can trade some spots or put different method on mine.

I use the tripod that Aquaview makes with my Spool color camera by Aquaview. It has a rubber piece the cord goes through that allows you to easily fine tune where the camera is pointing.
    If you guys like the cameras you should look into a flasher. Since I bought my flasher I don't even use the camera anymore.
    A flasher sets up and moves so much more easily and I can see the entire water column on the screen instead of just where the camera is pointing.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Troutslayer read the post I've written on Memory Lake. The lake is awesome for cameras as the water is really clear and I have yet to skunked there fishing for pike. I also have a few more spots on Nancy and Red Shirt, but I'm taking advantage of this being the last weekend to fish burbot on Big Lake and hit it hard until the pike bite picks up on Memory.

I think I'm going to buy a Vexilar just for the night fishing burbot and deep water fishing for Lakers. It's always nice to have a full toolbox.

I have used an aqua view scout for about 8 years now. its an older model but still kickin. great to use it to see what is going on under the ice for sure and how fish react to presentations. The only down side is the cable is only 25 feet.

great tool like already said. maybe have to upgrade soon so I can use it in deeper depths?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

So what do you guys do when you drill a hole and see nothing on the flasher or camera? Do you set up anyway hoping that fish will come or do you keep moving til you find something?

It depends on what I'm targeting when it comes to flashers. For lakers and rainbows I've done best by drilling a dozen holes or so in a grid and hole hop. I will go from hole to hole until I mark a fish and at that point I will drop a line.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I am a hole hopper drilling 40 -60 holes during the day ,moving locations.If nothing shows in a couple minutes its off to the next hole.

you sit and wait. today would be a good example. i was out at big lake for less then 3 hours me and the g'f and had a large char a large rainbow and 2 probly 14-18 rainbows and then we reeled up to go home and had a huge char come through couldnt get the line back fast enough but my point is it was about 45 mins before a fish came through and then they just kept comeing. i have learned that with a camera if you bring in a few little guys get them going crazy and as soon as they run off there has always been a large fish within 10 mins so i think the large char or pike realy make a place look dead tell you get a monster on the ice but i have also found stationary groups of fish just under the ice i always pan the ice before going to the bottom. i would say though if you havent seen any fish at all in 45 mins to an hour not going to be a good spot

I always stay put. I look at like this the lake is their home and when I home I roam from room to room. So I get on the lake pick a promising spot hook up the camera, pop in a movie, sit back and relax. Longest I've been out on the lake was 12 hours and a lot of fish caught and retained with more showing up until I packed up.

Both techniques combined works very well. Since we are allowed at least two lines, one of my rods or tip-ups is always stationary in one spot while I move around with my other rod and flasher. If my dead stick rod or tip up keeps getting hit, then I'll bring my flasher over and start pounding that area. I get antsy quickly, so if I don't get bites within 20 minutes I'll start hole hopping. Once I finally hole hop and find fish I will stay there. Never leave fish to find fish. If you know a lake well and have your "good" spots, then there is no need to move around. If you are on a new lake that you've never fished, staying in one spot can ruin your day. Every lake has good spots and bad spots. If your new to a lake and you unknowingly set up on a bad spot and spend all day there, well fishing is going to suck. If you stay mobile and move around on this new lake, the chance of finding that good spot goes up exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by love em and leave em View Post
    I am a hole hopper drilling 40 -60 holes during the day ,moving locations.If nothing shows in a couple minutes its off to the next hole.
    Dang, you make me feel lazy

Quote Originally Posted by Zissou View Post
    So what do you guys do when you drill a hole and see nothing on the flasher or camera? Do you set up anyway hoping that fish will come or do you keep moving til you find something?

The flasher makes moving easy. That being said fish can be just outside your transducer cone waiting to find some food.
    So I jig each hole for a few minutes before moving on. If nothing bites or shows up on the flasher I move on.
    The one exception would be if I was in a known hot spot from previous trips and in that case I will give it more time.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

i havent tried my aquaview up here yet because half the lures we use are bigger than the camera and it would probably be eaten by sheefish or pike. when i used to use a camera mostly for perch and rainbows i would make a hole a few feet from the one i was fishing and just hand turn the cable to spin it around to find my bait and to see fish. i would usually watch the fish swim up to it and give it a little subtle twitch and most hit it. pretty cool to see that. never had too many fish mind the camera (looked like a bluegill) some even bumped it. definately keeps it fun when fishing is slow.