Thread: Canning halibut

Default Canning halibut

I may not have this post in the correct area so if I don't, please blame it on ignorance. Have any of you canned halibut and was the procedure like canning salmon? I have canned a lot of salmon after our trips to Michigan, so I know what to do in that arena. Will canning it after the halibut has been frozen be okay? Any thing special need to be done to the halibut before putting it in the canner? Thanks Daniel

Same process. See the Pantry sub forum for searching older postings and threads. I can/jar halibut and salmon at the same time. Make sure you leave 1" from the top of the jar and add a 1/4 cup of vinegar to your water in side the pressure cooker as your jars will be much much cleaner after you take them out. The halibut will turn a light yellowish color.

We used to add a little butter in with the halibut and it made it taste alot like crab.

Cool, we were just wondering the other day whether anyone canned halibut!
    So...how does it compare with frozen (vac packed)? Might just leave some un vac'ed and can it instead!

I've never canned any halibut before, but if it was me I'd can it fresh. It's still good no doubt, but in my opinion, halibut is never quite the same after it's been frozen.....even if just for a little while.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Found a few resources, I've never canned halibut before. If you go to the first link it tells you thaw the halibut if it is frozen, so I assume it would be okay using frozen halibut. From reading what I've read so far it isn't much different than canning salmon.

http://canningusasupplystore.com/rec...anning-halibut

Here is an old thread on canning halibut:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ot-a-good-idea

This is from the UAF, dosn't say much on canning halibut, but does give some ideas on adding spices to your canned fish...

http://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publica.../FNH-00224.pdf

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Friend of ours cans them. Puts a little garlic and onion in the jar with some olive oils and pressure cooks them for 90 minutes. Very tasty. We made salad out of it like it was tuna.

I have canned lots of halibut. I do it just like tuna one tbl spoon tomato juice one tbl spoon olive oil per half pt jar. Kids can't tell from tuna. I only do this with big fish over 150lbs, smaller fish may not work as well, I don't know.

Olive oil is a must to keep it moist. I have thought about putting some black cod in with the halibut insted of using olive oil, I'll let you know how that turns out in a couple weeks. . Our favorite way is to jar it with toco seasoning, olive oil, and garlic. Makes for a very quick meal.

Well I did up a few quart jars of 3/4 halibut, 1/4 black cod and they turned out great! There was more than enough oil in the black cod to keep all of the halibut moist.