Thread: Winter float

Default Winter float

So a buddy and I are floating the Kenai canyon Sunday March 10th!
    The scouting is already done there is no log jams and no ice bridges impeeding our float. Breaking out the feathercraft pack rafts and dry suits feels funny in the middle of winter but I've got the itch and it needs to be scratched. We will be floating from sportmans down past jims and through the canyon.......and hiking back up to skilak road via hidden creek trail(last time I hiked it I though it was about three miles and no more) where we will have a truck parked. I invite all who have been sitting in there living room fake paddling there pack rafts all winter to come along and have some good laughs and enjoy a riverside hot lunch somewhere in the canyon.
    If you want to tag along shoot me a pm and I'll fill you in on the rest!
    Last edited by mrgsholly; 03-07-2013 at 16:55. Reason: typo

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Ok, I am jealous. I floated a few miles of the kenai in a canoe in february two years ago. Last year we took a raft but there was only a few hundred yards of open water and we didn't even inflate the boat.

We floated last month in Oregon, but that's different.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I got the gopros all charged up...if I get some worthy footage I'll chop it and post it.

We did it!
    It snowed the whole time which I though was awesome! And the hike out was easy too. Next time bringing the fly rod....... Lots of fishy looking water in there. Great way to start off the rafting season.

We need GoPro proof of your float.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    We need GoPro proof of your float.
    How about I take you down through the canyon for proof! I'm free this upcoming Sunday. I'm editing the footage.... Most of the float was class one and short areas of class two mostly dodging boulders nothing tricky.

It's the lack of a motor to cross Skilak or weight of my 15' Otter and gear for the pack out that keep me out of the canyon on a regular basis. Lol

If the weather stays nice and work doesn't call in the next few days I might be up for a Bridge to Jim's float though. An early season 20"+ rainbow might be just the fix I need.

When I drove through cooper landing the upper section looked real boney.....lowest I've personally seen it in a while. When I dumped into skilak out of the canyon there was no ice on skilak as far as the eye could see all the way around the corner towards the upper skilak boat launch......I wondered if it was clear al the way through but didn't have time to check it out myself. Last year this time it was still all locked up.