Thread: Help, a grizzly ate my pigeons!

Default Help, a grizzly ate my pigeons!

I need help finding more pigeons.

My husband and I bought 15 pigeons a few years ago to train our lab. Although we hadn't been using them for anything, we liked having them around. They were racing pigeons whose lineage went back to WWII. Two nights ago, a grizzly broke into our coop, and now we only have one left.

My lone survivor needs mates. Where in this state can I get pigeons?

Default Pigeons

I'd check with some of the retriever clubs in your area or a hatchery. If they can't help you, you may try to catch them. We've used traps and dip nets, you just have to locate a concentration.

Default Lots of pigeons in Alaska

There are lots of sources for pigeons in Alaska. Don't know where you're located, but there are racing pigeon clubs in Fairbanks and in the Palmer/Wasilla/Anchorage area, and a whole lot more people who just keep them for pleasure. PM me if you want contact info for the Interior club. I'd offer some culls, but just cleaned mine out last weekend.
    Last edited by ironsights; 05-09-2007 at 06:59. Reason: Typos

Heck yeah, I'd love some information on those racing pigeon clubs, anyof them in the Anchorage area. I'm in Soldotna, but I happen to be making a trip tomorrow. We go to Anchorage regularly.

Wow, thanks, both of you. I didn't think I'd be able to find any information.

Here in fairbanks, my dad used to catch his own in buildings downtown. It was a messy job, but he got all the birds he needed. I don't think many buisness owners would have a problem with people getting birds out of their attics.

-Eric

We really don't have any pigeons in Soldotna. Not that I'm complaining.--Oh wait, we do now, if you count the two that flew off when the bear ripped the pen open.

Course, the owls probably finished those poor guys off.

How to catch pigeons... Any tricks beside miming a statue for several days in the town square?

Default contacts and catching pigeons

I don't know the club contacts in Anchorage. If you look up Jerry Pearson in the North Pole phone book, he'd be the interior contact and will probably know the folks in anchorage.

As for catching pigeons, just find where they roost then go there at night while they're sleeping. Use a red lens over a flashlight and a small fishing net. Shouldn't be any problem.

Default pigeons...

I have had pigeons for about 8 years now...5 in Montana and 3 here in Palmer.
    Trapping them can be successful, but more so in the winter (based on my experience). However, my experience has been that the wild birds are not usually as good at homing until they have been there quite awhile or they hatch some chicks. The chicks will normally stay where they were born and you can build your flock on that. I have had mixed results with the adult wild birds. Some I have had stay for over a year and then for no apparent reason quit homing(they would hang around outside the coop, never coming in for awhile, then be gone the next day never to be seen again).

If you find someone who can give you young peepers, you should be able to keep them more easily. I am building a new flock now (lost a few over the winter), but would like to have a couple more if you find a good source. Later in the summer or next spring I may have a few extras (4 chicks right now and more nesting), I am trying to build my numbers up. If you dont find any check with me in the future.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Burke; 05-14-2007 at 19:07. Reason: one more note

I would prefer to purchase homing pigeons, if I could. (Gosh, look at me, I've become a pigeon snob!) There are several people in the area who were attached to this flock, and I kinda wanted to preserve the lineage, if there was even a chance that I could. They were nice birds.

I found the phone number of the Racing Pigeon Club in Eagle River. I'll give them a call when I have a chance. Thanks for the help!

I have number of breeds of pet pigeons intact i have a great love for my pigeons.You may ask any question about the pigeon either its related to feed or diseases.I can also provide you any kind on your demand and wish.

I imagine they would be easy to catch on a little NO 10 hook, with a little bread as bait, on the sand bars at ship creek.....

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    I have number of breeds of pet pigeons intact i have a great love for my pigeons.You may ask any question about the pigeon either its related to feed or diseases.I can also provide you any kind on your demand and wish.
    fence for dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    Solving the access problem sounds key.
    Few years back, I saw a pheasant along the road south of Ninilchik, apparently from a failed farming operation down there - failed due to predation. Pigeons though, it seems like you could get their cage up high - easier to secure?

ladysmith,
    Did you find any pigeons? I have been searching for some but no luck. Is the Eagle River Club still operating? I knew a Federal warden 20+ years ago (Walter or Wally if my old memory is still working but not sure) from Eagle River but I have no phone numbers. Could you email me if you have any info? Or anyones who knows where I can get some for training. Thank you.

Bumping this thread to the top. I'm looking for some homing pigeons. I've contacted what used to be the pigeon club and all that were in charge of it have either passed away, their birds all got killed, or they've since moved. Any contacts would be super. I've put in about 9-10 calls to various people looking for a trail, but haven't been able to find any. Any suggestions?