Thread: Moose Sasuage/Sticks Etc Recipes

Default Moose Sasuage/Sticks Etc Recipes

Looking for some of your recipes. I see lots of pictures of completed projects, but just wondering what kind of seasonings your using

#1 It starts with not throwing away the most coveted part of the moose: the fat.

Grind it up and mix with neck/meat scraps for breakfast sausage or cured sausage sticks.

I tried putting together the spices for sausage but it ends up costing more (unless you make a whole lotta sausage) than getting premixed stuff. I use the Sausage Source website, they have no msg mixes, prices are right and shipping is easy/fast with usps.

I do 50 lbs of summer sausage each year and use cabela's kits for that. Also a decent deal with cure, mix and casings.

If the fat as suggested by Mainer doesn't do it for you, I use ground pork shoulder, cheap, adds some fat and with a single grind keeps good texture to the sausage. I have a buddy who swears by the double grind, but to me sausage needs some body to it and a single grind works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    #1 It starts with not throwing away the most coveted part of the moose: the fat.

Grind it up and mix with neck/meat scraps for breakfast sausage or cured sausage sticks.
    Moose have fat???

Here is a chunk of fat sliced into thin pieces and salted:

It's like crispy pieces of salt pork, but healthier. The boy eats em as an after-school snack. Backstrap was cooked in the fat.

The other picture is of my moose breakfast sausage made from the ribs. After cooking two patties, it yields about a 1/3 cup of cooking fat. Enough fat to cook a half dozen eggs, panful of home fries and a loaf of luskineagan (squaw bread). It gives the squaw bread a very crispy/salty crust that's every bit as good as butter. Don't waste it, it's tasty stuff. If working outside in below zero weather, for me, it seams to improve blood flow to my fingers, relying less on gloves when I need dexterity. The moose work hard for that fat, it's a gift to the successful hunter.

Attached Images Attached Images