Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frog Lube

Default Frog Lube

Have any of you guys tried frog lube for your guns? How about in the winter?

I have tested both Froglube and Fireclean down to only -26F, the coldest it got to this year. If you put a large drop of either on a piece of metal both will harden to a waxy blob. However, if applied correctly with a thin coat, they perform flawlessly in an AR at those temps. I prefer Fireclean http://www.cleanergun.com/ because it has no detectable smell. Froglube has a slightly "minty" smell. Both are non-toxic and allow you to wipe off carbon and gunk with a rag without having to use any other cleaner at all. Fireclean seems to break down carbon better in an AR.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Good to know, thank you!

A buddy was given a couple free tubes of it at the SHOT show and he gave me one. I've used it on a couple revolvers and it seems to perform well. I don't get the cold you guys do though so I can't comment on that. It does have a distinct smell. Not bad but strong. It smells exactly like something else I've smelled before but I can't place what it is.

It smells like Ben Gay.

It tastes minty fresh. And won't give you cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    It smells like Ben Gay.

Aha! It was Icy Hot I was thinking of, but Ben Gay may very well smell the same since it has the same use.

When it gets really cold I clean my gun completely, then just wipe the moving parts with a rag with just a bit of ATF on it. I don't usually shoot a bunch of rounds at 35 below so I don't think it needs a lot of lube. I have even run them completely dry without problems when cold. Above zero I just use most any oil but lightly.

Tried to send you a PM. Need to clear some space.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    It smells like Ben Gay.
    Perhaps it has more than one use, Rafe!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I've been using FL for a couple years now on my semi autos. I've demoted all other solvents and lubes to the shed to be used on the lawnmower and bike chains. This year I started using it on my bolt guns for hunting. It's relatively expensive but well worth it IMHO. I have small kids so its nice to keep the toxic stuff outside where it belongs. I do however keep a can of wipeout around to clean bores. The bottom line is FL is amazing stuff. I shot the snot out of my AR up in barrow this winter when it was -40 f with no issues whatsoever. I ran paste on the bcg and liquid in the fcg. I would recommend omitting the paste in these extreme temps however. The gun did run a bit sluggish but no malfs.

My thoughts on FIREClean after using it for over 2 years:

http://www.thealaskalife.com/guns/fireclean-gun-oil/

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

How is it on toast??

Seriously, folks. Oil is Oil, ain't it?

Of course, you've got thin oil, thick oil, and grease, and viscosities and additives.

I use most any gun oil or the like, and never had an issue. What are the issues?

In other words, what's the big deal about gun oil these days?

Is it critical for ARs?

Thanks
    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You first say 'oil is oil' and then follow it up by acknowledging the vast array of what makes oil not just oil.

Take a look at Rem-oil and FIREClean and lemme know. AR's will run incredibly dirty but like to be lubed properly. Yeah, they'll run very dry but once you get a certain amount of carbon build up in the working parts, you will likely start to run into issues...just like on any gun...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    You first say 'oil is oil' and then follow it up by acknowledging the vast array of what makes oil not just oil.

Take a look at Rem-oil and FIREClean and lemme know. AR's will run incredibly dirty but like to be lubed properly. Yeah, they'll run very dry but once you get a certain amount of carbon build up in the working parts, you will likely start to run into issues...just like on any gun...
    When using the proper TYPE of oil, then. Oil that's suitable for the application.

I'm asking how you know that one brand is much superior to another. Are you accepting a sales pitch or is there something concrete, like,,, AR jams with this oil, but not this other one?

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Did you read the article I linked to? I've come to these conclusions with using it for over 2 years now. Combined with how long the lube stays in place, how easy it is to remove carbon deposits, and how little lube is required for reapplication (saving time/money), I feel its a better product than what I've used before.

If I learned about this last week and am already singing its praises, yeah, that'd be a chump move...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Did you read the article I linked to? I've come to these conclusions with using it for over 2 years now. Combined with how long the lube stays in place, how easy it is to remove carbon deposits, and how little lube is required for reapplication (saving time/money), I feel its a better product than what I've used before.

If I learned about this last week and am already singing its praises, yeah, that'd be a chump move...
    OK, I read it.

If it stays on longer and better, keeps carbon from hardening, that would be an improvement.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

And that's what I'm advocating. That said, I'm not the smartest feller around and maybe I'm way off base after all! Haha!!

If you look on Youtube, there are a pile of videos showing tests done with many different CLPs. Frog lube seemed to perform very well.

Can't comment on semi-autos, all I know is that with bolts in the extreme cold we get here, if I don't completely remove all oil from firing pin spring it can and will malfunction. Have always used a bit of powdered graphite instead of any kind of lube/oil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast