Thread: Kapuukaq (buttercup) Ranunculus sp.

Default Kapuukaq (buttercup) Ranunculus sp.

"Kapuukaq" are wild plants gathered by Yup'ik women from the bottom of tundra ponds along the sides this time of the year. Traditionally this plant is added to waterfowl dishes suchas; goose soup or sauteed as a side dish when having fried waterfowl.
    Since there are a variety of species in the buttercup family I wanted to find out exactly which species these plants are. Can anyone provide me with some assistance on identifying the exact species? Quyana

little log cabin on the river

Default Marsh Marigold

Marsh Marigold-Caltha species (Ranunculaceae) does belong to the buttercup family and grows near ponds and moist areas. Traditionally it has been used as a potherb in soups and stews. It is toxic raw, but boiling (at 180F) or thoroughly drying the herb dissipates the toxin. Most recipes suggest boiling in 2 changes of water.
    Be aware there are many varieties of buttercups and some are extremely poisonous!

For more information and pictures check out these links…

Hope this helps,
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Thankyou Alaska Grandma, another common name I found for them is "pallas buttercups" (Ranunculus pallasii). The plants are gathered in the Spring, just after the tundra ponds are free of ice and only the stems are used for soups and as a side dish.
    Last edited by WDChurchJr; 05-09-2007 at 18:03.