Thread: Anyone Ever Brought a Boat up from Juneau to the Peninsula?

Default Anyone Ever Brought a Boat up from Juneau to the Peninsula?

I am looking at a troller down there to use as a tour boat in the sound and over to Kodiak. Looking at worst case scenarios for running speed (7 knots) and distance (600 miles.) Did you run up to Yakatat on your run or did you just cut across the gulf?

Also, for any commercial guys, what is the approximate northern boundary for SE commercial salmon permits? Thanks for any info.

If you know any of the herring guys going to Sitka it would be a great time to come back north with some other boats. You might even get someone to bring it back. If you don't want to do that PM me I have made that run many times. I will be back 16th of March. best of luck

Back in the 80s I ran a LeClerq 48' seiner from Juneau to Seward. We followed the beach north of Spencer until we got to the Alsek River and then ran pretty much straight across to Wessels Reef and then on to Resurrection Bay. I don't know the size of the troller you are buying or the fuel capacity, but if it is a smaller (40 ft or less) rig I would encourage you to re-fuel in Yakutat and then work your way over to Cordova. Joining the herring fleet migration westward after the Sitka sac-roe openings suggested by MGH55 is a good idea, but most of those rigs will be moving considerably faster than the average troller and may well leave you behind. Keeping a radio schedule with one or two of them will give you some peace of mind when the weather kicks-up and you are too far offshore to see anything. Have a good trip.

I've made two gulf crossings in my own boats.

I ran up the coast to Yakutat.

From memory, here's the distances to Seward at least. Please remember these are from memory only but they are pretty close.

120NM Elfin Cove to Yakutat
    320NM Yakutat to Seward direct
    350 Yakutat to Seward through Prince William Sound

460 NM Elfin Cove to Seward direct.

The route you take really depends on your weather windows, and what sea states you're willing to travel in.

For example Yakutat to Hinchinbrook entrance is only 220NM. At 7 knots thats 31 hours.
    The direct run to Seward from Yakutat would leave you exposed for 45 hours
    Elfin Cove to Seward is 65 hours.

65 hours is a pretty long time to forecast , and its a pretty long weather window depending on the time of year you make the trip.

Thanks guys. Awesome info.