Thread: Boat trailer question

Default Boat trailer question

I'm picking up a alweld 1752 jon and putting on a 50/35 tohatsu tiller outboard on it. The shop has 2 trailers that will work, one rated for 1250#s with 54" between fenders and one rated for 1650#s with 61" between fenders. What do you guys think would be the better choice? The hull is about 400#s and the outboard with battery is around 250#s plus fuel and minimal gear (like to keep gear in the truck). Price difference is about $400, not much but don't see the need to spend more if I don't have too. Whatcha think?

I'd go with the heavier setup myself. How large of fuel tank? How much gear and coolers full of fish will get thrown in when your buddy borrows it to go dip netting? Easier to drop the extra $400 now and not worry IMO.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I would go with the heavier trailer. One thing to confirm is if their rating is the gross weight or the load rating. If it is the gross rating, then you need to subtract the trailer weight to get what you can carry. You might also check the weight difference between the two trailers, but unless it is ridiculous I would still go with the heavier trailer, since it will last better and give you more of a buffer.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I've always thought more was better, but in this case I wasn't sure if it made sense. $400 either way doesn't make any difference really. That was the trailer they recommended at the Boat Shop in FBKS for the boat, but Deweys recommended the smaller trailer with the 1852 G3 I was looking at with a slightly heavier boat.

How much does it weigh with a moose in it? That should help you decide.....LOL....

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    How much does it weigh with a moose in it? That should help you decide.....LOL....
    That's what I was thinking. My trailer in Dillingham was one that was "permanently loaned" by a friend. It did the job with just the boat and some gear but at least four times I had to load the meat into the truck for the ride home.....not my cup of tea when it was so nicely stacked in the boat and I had already spent two days lugging it around.

Get the big one, never underpower, never underweight, and never say you're sorry.