Thread: Coldwater Boats windshield

Default Coldwater Boats windshield

That's the most aggressive reverse rake I've ever seen on a windshield...comments?

Looks like a big mouth ready to chomp down on something. Must be some heavy duty springs on the windshield wipers.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

We have one stored in our yard, you hit the nail on the head. The wipers don't hold tight enough to the glass. You'd think a boat with 12 hours on it and in that price range would've left the factory with a A+ report card.

I own a ColdWater 33 and the windshields are not a problem. Changing out the wiper motor is a pain as you have to drop the ceiling liner.

Coldwater builds one heck of a boat.

I love the lines on that boat.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I love the lines on that boat.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Agree, If I had the resources I'd have a hard time between that and the Seawolf lines. Sure would be a fun choice.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Buying a ColdWater is like having a beautiful girl friend. It is great to look like but is really high maintenance. The boat is designed for recreational use look at their web site. If I had to do it all over again it would buy Bayweld, Sea Wolf, North River, FiberCraft, or Ocean Roamer.

but is really high maintenance
    captaindd,

Can you elaborate on the above comment? Are you refering to dealing with the paint on the boat or the wood interior? Just curious.

Thanks,

Doug

Rainx on those windows will do away with the windshield wipers problem, water just runs right off them with that angle.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Things just did not go the way they should with the purchase of my ColdWater Boat.
    1. The boat was purchased with a new trailer. Dealer for got to order trailer and because there was a 12 week wait I had to settle for used 15000lb trailer. I had the boat shipped up boat and trailer weight 18600 lbs. Dealer sent me and additional axel and wheels to give the trailer the extra carry capacity.
    2. Boat had small water leak in engine room during testing. Could not find leak while at the dealers. I have pulled the engines 3 times and have not found the leak. Install extra bildge pump to remove extra water.
    3. Once boat got to Alaska in 2007 had problems with anchor line hanging up between anchor roller and the supports that hold the roller. What I found was they drilled a large hole on each side of the support and a small hole on the inside of the support to hold the roller. The roller was twisting under load and the line was getting caught between the roller and suport. To fix problem I welded 1/4' plates on outside of supports and in stalled a larger bolt for anchor roller.
    4. Ez Anchor puller broke loose bent my front rail and went over board. I found that the plastic base on the anchor puller had broken and that 2 of the bolts that where suppose to hold it in place where not installed. The Ez Anchor puller Company paid to have the anchor puller fixed in Valdez. Harris Sand and Gravel built a complete new housing and base out of aluminum and it works and looks great.
    5. Had a problem with water in my fuel tanks. I found that water was getting in via the fuel vents. I fix the problem by in stalling clam shell covers over the vents.
    6. The cabin heat and window defroster was done via a Wallas heater. It did not make any sense to have hot water in the cabin using engine heat and not use that heat in the cabin. I installed an addition heater and was glad I did. Wallas heat was a work of art.
    7. The spot lights on the radar arch both broke off at the base. Lower the height and had not had a problem since.
    8. The trim paint is cracking and come off.
    9. The engine compartment eletric hatch cover lifts have no manual way to open the compartment in case of failure.
    10. I have stress cracks in my mid ship compartment. The compartment has a bulkhead on each side and the fuel tank is in that compartment. Had a plate welded on the hull under neath the cracks. Had cracks welded but that did not stop the leaks so will see if the plate will work. Also welded supports in side the below deck compartment for added support. Will see if that helps.
    11. Had numerous cracks in wood furniture and up front under berth.
    12. Side window sliders keep falling off.
    If I started to put in all of the troubles that I have had with my Volvo Outdrives, shift controls and other things related to the operations of the volvo engines it would take more than I have already added and those problems are not related to the building of the boat..

Thumbs up to rain x, seems to perform well no matter what angle the windows are.
    Wonder if it would do any good on the interior windows to help against foggin up?
    crap got sidetracked! Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    Things just did not go the way they should with the purchase of my ColdWater Boat.
    1. The boat was purchased with a new trailer. Dealer for got to order trailer and because there was a 12 week wait I had to settle for used 15000lb trailer. I had the boat shipped up boat and trailer weight 18600 lbs. Dealer sent me and additional axel and wheels to give the trailer the extra carry capacity.
    2. Boat had small water leak in engine room during testing. Could not find leak while at the dealers. I have pulled the engines 3 times and have not found the leak. Install extra bildge pump to remove extra water.
    3. Once boat got to Alaska in 2007 had problems with anchor line hanging up between anchor roller and the supports that hold the roller. What I found was they drilled a large hole on each side of the support and a small hole on the inside of the support to hold the roller. The roller was twisting under load and the line was getting caught between the roller and suport. To fix problem I welded 1/4' plates on outside of supports and in stalled a larger bolt for anchor roller.
    4. Ez Anchor puller broke loose bent my front rail and went over board. I found that the plastic base on the anchor puller had broken and that 2 of the bolts that where suppose to hold it in place where not installed. The Ez Anchor puller Company paid to have the anchor puller fixed in Valdez. Harris Sand and Gravel built a complete new housing and base out of aluminum and it works and looks great.
    5. Had a problem with water in my fuel tanks. I found that water was getting in via the fuel vents. I fix the problem by in stalling clam shell covers over the vents.
    6. The cabin heat and window defroster was done via a Wallas heater. It did not make any sense to have hot water in the cabin using engine heat and not use that heat in the cabin. I installed an addition heater and was glad I did. Wallas heat was a work of art.
    7. The spot lights on the radar arch both broke off at the base. Lower the height and had not had a problem since.
    9. The engine compartment eletric hatch cover lifts have no manual way to open the compartment in case of failure.
    10. I have stress cracks in my mid ship compartment. The compartment has a bulkhead on each side and the fuel tank is in that compartment. Had a plate welded on the hull under neath the cracks. Had cracks welded but that did not stop the leaks so will see if the plate will work. Also welded supports in side the below deck compartment for added support. Will see if that helps.
    If I started to put in all of the troubles that I have had with my Volvo Outdrives, shift controls and other things related to the operations of the volvo engines it would take more than I have already added and those problems are not related to the building of the boat..
    Thanks for the input Captdd. You are absolutely right about the girlfriend thing. No matter how good she looks, she is a PIA for somebody. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am far from your upgrade, but after every boat I have purchased I often wonder if it is worth the time. Am I really that much better off than I was with that little skiff I used to have so much fun in years ago? Although I have a larger craft now, and everybody else loves it, sometimes I wonder if it is really worth the time and effort. It probably is, but for those guys that see a larger boat that they desire, be careful about what you wish for because one day you you may regret it. The grass ain't always greener over there.

I still like the looks but an eaglecraft sounds like a better deal. Really every company has probably turned out a dud every so often, sorry to her you got one. Were the guys at Coldwater not interested in helping you fix some of these problems? Seems like a water leak that was fixxed with an extra bilge pump is a big deal. If I made boats that cost $350+K I would fly my guys up here and make you happy.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    Thanks for the input Captdd. You are absolutely right about the girlfriend thing. No matter how good she looks, she is a PIA for somebody. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am far from your upgrade, but after every boat I have purchased I often wonder if it is worth the time. Am I really that much better off than I was with that little skiff I used to have so much fun in years ago? Although I have a larger craft now, and everybody else loves it, sometimes I wonder if it is really worth the time and effort. It probably is, but for those guys that see a larger boat that they desire, be careful about what you wish for because one day you you may regret it. The grass ain't always greener over there.
    We all need to get the little golden book "Mickey Mouse and His Boat" ... perfect read that is exactly about what Soundfisher is saying here. I think I will get a new copy and keep it in the boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Disneys-Mickey...y%27s+new+boat

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim House View Post
    Thumbs up to rain x, seems to perform well no matter what angle the windows are.
    Wonder if it would do any good on the interior windows to help against foggin up?
    crap got sidetracked! Oops!
    little bit of dish soap on the interior windows helps a lot with fogging.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

JR2 I used my boat as a charter boat so I was under a dead line to keep my boat going. Being commerical I had a 1 year warrenty. I owed the boat just 16 days when I broke my ankle in 3 places on the 16th of June while docking the boat. I was not able to get back on the boat until June 23 but I had payments to meet and I did not want to let down my customers. I let ColdWater know of all the things I found wrong so that maybe they would correct them on their next bunch of boats.

Sounds like you own a boat. (grin)

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post

captaindd,

Sorry if my question opened up old wounds for you. I really appreciate your honest reply as hard as it might be to discuss the problems you have had. You are in a different boating responsibility/pressure level than I am, as a weekend warrior recreational boater, which has to add to the difficulties these boating problems create.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.

Doug