Thread: With the warm weather recently anyone see any bears poking their heads out

Default With the warm weather recently anyone see any bears poking their heads out

Heard from some friends down south that they have seen some tracks while riding and was curious if anyone has actually seen anything. I was thinking of heading out this weekend towards hope area to start looking around for a good location to bait and was thinking about bringing the long gun to see whats poking around. I know year before last we had some early risers in areas. Just curious as to everyones thoughts on this.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I heard of some big brownie tracks from a couple of guys but haven't seen anything for my self.

A lot of our logging roads have been plowed already. Alder is budding and grass greening on the beaches so something should happen fast.Maybe all the noise from the geese heading north will wake them up.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I know of 2 different Browns that are eating hooligan in Haines... No tracks in western Unit 13 yet! Flew 6 hours last weekend looking for early risers! Nada!

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Heard from some friends down south that they have seen some tracks....
    How far south? We've been getting some small, but regular little snowfalls quite a bit for quite a few weeks now. I would think there's even more snow up around the Hope area but I could be wrong. Still pretty early would be my guess......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

saw online today that all the bears at the conservation center in portage are out and about, means the rest of them arent too far away!

Word is they are moving around in Juneau area too.

I've had this feeling since December that its going to be a 180 from last winter and be an early spring, and warmer spring too thank God! Last spring I spent 6 weeks in freezing cold rain chasing mystery bears. Spot n' stalk black bears are on the list first :-)
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I'll be packin for sure this weekend. Not much snow and above freezing we could run into a surprise on the line. Last year was the earliest we've ever gotten a spring grizzly but I fear this year may be even earlier.

You guys are dreamin'.........lol

At least I think it's a dream for his neck o' the woods anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You guys are dreamin'.........lol

At least I think it's a dream for his neck o' the woods anyway....

Ah come on 4mer. We can dream can't we? If they can be out at 40 below in december I thing they can be out at 35 above in March!

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Ah come on 4mer. We can dream can't we? If they can be out at 40 below in december I thing they can be out at 35 above in March!
    Exactly... Not uncommon for a march wake up...

http://www.adn.com/2013/03/04/281142...waking-up.html

Cubs should be just finished up being born so boars and barren sows now.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Dream away. I'm with ya for sure. And yes, there will always be a few bears that have to come out of their dens early, if not even in the middle of winter, for some reason or another. But do you really want to spend your time looking for one or two bears in all that country...??? Not saying it can't be done, but it seems like it would be a bit difficult........like I say, at least with all the snow around (HERE) anyway.

As far as the brownies at the wildlife center.....brownies are different hibernators than blackies, as I do believe when the op mentioned baiting that's what he was talking about. Brownies are known for going in and out of their dens all winter long.

Blackies come out to stretch in winter at times too...
    But yes to the op I would save your efforts for a little bit, but never too early to scout your location if ya just wanna get out and about. If your baiting it the Kenai mountains it seemed for us it got really good right when the buds pop on the trees on the lowlands... No science just what seemed to work for us. On the lowlands things were different...

http://www.adn.com/2009/03/05/712766...ken-early.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Blackies come out to stretch in winter at times too...
    That's what I was referring to when I said......

...And yes, there will always be a few bears that have to come out of their dens early, if not even in the middle of winter, for some reason or another....

Some may be starving, or some may have not made a sufficient den and now are getting dripped on. But for the rest of the healthy good denned up bears, there's really no reason for them to come out when there's still lots of snow all around....

There's a number of bears wandering around right now down here. Even 2 sows with cubs that I've heard of/seen.

havent heard of any up here. usually it doesnt get good up here until the end of the fisrt week or second week of april

Heading out sunday to the hope area to start some scouting and to see if we can find any wolves running around while enjoying the wilderness. I will report my findings when I get back sunday night. Weather is looking crummy (rain/snow showers) but still should make for a good time out and about.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Remember that most cubs are born the end of January to middle of February and cubs eyes open at six weeks so go from there.