Thread: Missouri snows bound

Default Missouri snows bound

Only 15 hours and it's wheels up for Missouri. I am hoping by the time we get there the snows will be back from getting run back south from the snow storms.
    Fingers crossed for some sore shoulders by the end of the week. I gotta break in that new beretta.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Good luck, bud! Gimme a call when you get back and let me know how you guys did.

Best of luck on the trip. Color me solidly in the jealous category. Oh for the smell of burnt powder in the morning.

Ended up killing sixty geese in three days with the best day being 34 birds. The weather turned unfavorable for good hunting but we managed to have good shooting anyways. I will post pics and full details soon...
    Ducksanddogs pm me your number and I'll give you a call

Tony

Congrats....nothing like snows raining on ya..good times I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Ended up killing sixty geese in three days with the best day being 34 birds. The weather turned unfavorable for good hunting but we managed to have good shooting anyways. I will post pics and full details soon...
    Ducksanddogs pm me your number and I'll give you a call

Tony

President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

PM Sent...

I'm headed to South Dakota in a few days to hunt snows for the first time. I was going to bring all BB's, but I heard some guys like to use 2's. Any opinions on that?

BBs or 2s will work. I usually shoot 3" #1s for all snows. If they are working well, the 2s are fine. If they act like most snow geese, I'd go with the BBs. Most shot will be 40 or more yards up, unless you are lucky and they cooperate, in which case they'll be in your face. Good luck!

Here's a video from a great hunt last year with Northern Skies Outfitters!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wtNcT6GIdS8

I went with bb's and I would again. Most of the shots were 40+ yards.

Can't wait to hit it again next year. And looking forward to this fall to get after Em again

Tony, were you hunting in Missouri. I spoke with a friend a few days ago that had just got back from there and he was telling me that while they filled their cooler with geese, it wasn't near as good as usual this year due to a lot of snow and wind and the geese moving to other areas. He said they had to drive 1000 miles looking for better places to hunt. I don't c snow in your pic, was there much in other areas. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Tony, were you hunting in Missouri. I spoke with a friend a few days ago that had just got back from there and he was telling me that while they filled their cooler with geese, it wasn't near as good as usual this year due to a lot of snow and wind and the geese moving to other areas. He said they had to drive 1000 miles looking for better places to hunt. I don't c snow in your pic, was there much in other areas. Bud

We hunted the mound city area in Missouri. There was quite a bit of snow when we flew in kansas City but not much up where we hunted. A lot had melted by the time we got there the weather was terrible, cold, rain, high winds, and snow on the last day. Great weather for ducks but I guess not for geese.
    This was my first trip to hunt snows so I didn't really have anything to compare it to. From what others said it was not as good as other years but we still killed 60 geese. I had a great time just getting out and seeing all the birds we had specks, ducks, and honkers landing in the spread right with the blinds. I have a family friend that hunted one of the Dakotas during the same time frame and his group killed 450. I would like to do it again next year for me it was worth it but I may go some place new next season. I have not made up my mind on where I am going next year California for sure but trying to plan a trip with my dad so we will have to see where we go. We are looking at a north Dakota duck and pheasant combo hunt next November.

Just got back from a South Dakota trip that was horrible. Two days of spending fourteen hours in a ground blind with fifteen degree temps, and twenty mph winds with thirty mph gusts. Ground was froze so bad we couldn't move dekes to new fields, and no new birds were moving in. The only thing around were adults that had been shot up for a week. We ended up with fourteen geese total. Weather changed the night we left and new birds were moving in. I figure it's ok, since trips that suck make you appreciate the good ones even more.