Thread: Loading 10mm

Default Loading 10mm

I'm a rookie reloader and am starting to load some 10mm. A couple of dumb newbie questions...

I have the Lyman reloader handbook, 49th edition. In some of the data for 10mm there is an asterisk that says "designates the use of Norma cases." What exactly does this mean? Does it mean Norma cases are "required" for that specific bullet?

I have about 40 Norma cases and some Double Tap cases and several hundred PMC or FC.

I plan to reload for both range/practice rounds as well as a woods carry ammo. I have found some HSM 180 grain jacketed bullets and Double Tap 230 grain hard cast bullets. Obviously the 180s are for the range and the DT230s for the woods.

Should i load the DT230s in the Norma brass and the 180s in the rest?

I have Universal powder and have not found exact loading data for these bullets, but close. Any recommendations for a powder load?

Thanks in advance!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Well different manufactures give different case volume inside and volume relates to pressure, the less room the more pressure a given charge will make. Itís something you need to know and keep an eye out for but is largely a non-issue in handguns. In rifles it can matter quite a bit and it can matter a little to accuracy in any gun but not a safety thing in handguns like it can be in some rifles. I mix my handgun brass with almost total disregard for brand and by starting low and working up loads that work in them all. If you want to sort your brass by brand you can, not needed in handguns but sure is a good idea in rifles.

10mm powder? Data for anything over 180s is hard to come by, I load 200s and have tried 230s. No luck with the 230s, they are not stable enough from any of my 10mms but YMMV. 10.5G Blue Dot under a 200G Lee Stoner cast is my go to load DO NOT just load that and go, start at 9g and work up to what works for you in your guns. Blue Dot is what Double Tap was using last I looked, there are rumors they use a commercial powder for the 230s but I suspect even that is Blue Dot. Bullseye or Unique are great for your plinking loads and Blue Dot for heat.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks, good info. I wish i could have found some 200 gr hard cast bullet, but was only able to find the 230s. Anyone want to trade 50 200 gr hard cast for 50 230s?

Another source told me that the 230 gr are a great self defense (against 2 legged predators) load if loaded to normal levels rather than hot for bear defense. Hmmmmm, might be something to tinker with...
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

230s loaded lighter likely would be a good close quarters two legged load because it would tumble like mad when it hit. Tight Group is another good plinking load powder BTW. Iíll sell ya 200s if you want, not sure what the current price is but Iíll know in the morning.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona