Thread: Suzuki 175's

Default Suzuki 175's

Does anyone have any comments or opinions on the Suzuki 175 4-strokes?
    I pulled up the Suzuki website and found that a 8,000 lb boat with twins burns about 12 gph @ 20 kts. (Total)
    Also curious as to any problems inherent in the design has cropped up.
    The motors on a boat I'm looking at are about 4 yrs old, has high hours (will verify).

Heard that certain Suzuki's turn a larger prop than others, the 140 for example. Not sure if that holds true for the other models?
    Seems weak links are not uncommon in outboards (thrust bearing issues in the Honda 225's, computers in the E-tecs, etc) wondering if there is anything to watch out for in these motors.
    Thanks

The one we run quite a bit each year has been flawless...except.for some bad gas.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Based on my experience with the Suzuki 140 I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 175.

That said, if you're looking at high hour engines on a boat that was used for charters, I would stear clear. Those guys tend to be merciless on equipment and when they sell a boat, it's because whatever is hanging of the transom is in need of replacement.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have a 2006 suzuki 175 on my 22' Hewes Sea Runner and it has been great. No problems at all. About 350 hours on it. Burns about 8 gallons/hour at 4700 rpm (cruizin' 30+ mph.). I've heard of problems with the 250hp, but not the 175. I run a 15.25"x19" stainless prop and you're right, that is a bigger prop than what a Yamaha or Honda would use.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim House View Post
    Does anyone have any comments or opinions on the Suzuki 175 4-strokes?
    I pulled up the Suzuki website and found that a 8,000 lb boat with twins burns about 12 gph @ 20 kts. (Total)
    Also curious as to any problems inherent in the design has cropped up.
    The motors on a boat I'm looking at are about 4 yrs old, has high hours (will verify).

Heard that certain Suzuki's turn a larger prop than others, the 140 for example. Not sure if that holds true for the other models?
    Seems weak links are not uncommon in outboards (thrust bearing issues in the Honda 225's, computers in the E-tecs, etc) wondering if there is anything to watch out for in these motors.
    Thanks

Thanks Gourmet. Have always heard positive's about the Suzuki's. A friend of mine on Kauai had an early pair of them, 70 4strokes and sold them with 7,000 hrs on them, another guy is still running them.
    Curious what you're burning about 18-20 Kts.

(QUOTE=Big Jim House;1259426]Thanks Gourmet. Have always heard positive's about the Suzuki's. A friend of mine on Kauai had an early pair of them, 70 4strokes and sold them with 7,000 hrs on them, another guy is still running them.
    Curious what you're burning about 18-20 Kts.[/QUOTE]

couldn't tell you. I don't have a fuel flow meter so my calc.s are just back of the envelope taking hours and how much fuel it takes to top up with. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by akgourmet View Post
    I have a 2006 suzuki 175 on my 22' Hewes Sea Runner and it has been great.
    I always thought that would be an ideal outboard for the 22-ft Hewescraft. It's only 60 pounds heavier than the Yamaha 115 I had on mine.

What's the top speed on your boat, akgourmet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    I always thought that would be an ideal outboard for the 22-ft Hewescraft. It's only 60 pounds heavier than the Yamaha 115 I had on mine.

What's the top speed on your boat, akgourmet?
    GPS says about 40-42mph at 5800-5900 rpm WOT. It actually gained about 100 rpm as the motor got broken in. I think 2006 was the first year of the 175. I chose it because it was the same weight as the 150. The 200 and 225hp are a different block and about 100 lbs. heavier. The 200 was also about $2000 more at the time.

I love the 100hp I have on my Pontoon boat. I have also been on Paul's boat and his 140hp kicks butt!

1977 Cessna 185 Floatplane
    2006 Kingfisher 2825
    2006 Elan Eagle Air
    2010 Playcraft 2400
    2011 Pelican Paddle Boat (Priceless!!!)