Thread: Swarovski shopping

Default Swarovski shopping

I have decided to bite the bullet on an angled Swarovski ATS65 HD, haven't seen them on Craigslist or Alaskaslist lately and if you do find one it's only a few dollars difference from a new one. Does Swarovski usually have sales? I was wondering if it was best to wait for a sale to buy one. I want one by August for sheep hunting.

I bought my Zeiss scope through Doug at Camera Land after the Shot show as a sample at a fraction of the new price, I then bought my Swaro 10x42 EL's from him brand new for a big discount before the HD's came out. I'd give him a pm.

I hope you can find a good deal on a new one but I have a word of warning for you. If you pay the new price then make sure you are getting a new item. I was very disappointed in Sportsman's Warehouse when I purchased my spotting scope. I got it home, pulled it out of the box and found that the cleaning cloth looked like an old oil rag and that there was still dirt on the outer shell of the spotter. There was even still a tripod adapter that the old owner had left on the base. The glass was not scratched and still looked perfect but I wanted a new one since I paid the new price.

When I brought it back to exchange it I asked how that could have happened. They said that there are allot of people that buy them just before hunting season and then return them after their hunts. They said that it is very popular with the younger russians. I'm not sure what they should do but Sportsman's should have never allowed it to be sold as a new scope at full price. I know it sucks for them to eat the cost when this happens but they need to mark them down at least a few bucks and make sure that the new owner knows it is new.

My binoculars were perfectly new but the spotter was another story. Maybe ask them at the customer service desk if they have changed their policy and they may have a used spotter laying around that they will sell you at a discount.

I bought some Zeiss binoculars from Camera Land for a good price. I asked them about a Swarovski 65 demo unit and the price I was quoted for one was about the same as I could get one locally. Those type of people are going to ruin the return policy at Sportsman's because of their abuse. I recently bought a 5" 460 S&W from Sportsmans and it looked like it was fired before too. I had it about a month before I even noticed it had some gun powder residue on it, and I haven't even shot it. I'm not sure if Smith and Wesson test fires them so I didn't complain. I see that Swarvoski was going towards the modular units, (which doesn't really appeal to me) hoping that maybe a big sale might be in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by KLK View Post
    I bought some Zeiss binoculars from Camera Land for a good price. I asked them about a Swarovski 65 demo unit and the price I was quoted for one was about the same as I could get one locally. Those type of people are going to ruin the return policy at Sportsman's because of their abuse. I recently bought a 5" 460 S&W from Sportsmans and it looked like it was fired before too. I had it about a month before I even noticed it had some gun powder residue on it, and I haven't even shot it. I'm not sure if Smith and Wesson test fires them so I didn't complain. I see that Swarvoski was going towards the modular units, (which doesn't really appeal to me) hoping that maybe a big sale might be in the works.
    The big sale was in the works...
    Some of us got new Swarovski ATM 65hds with eyepiece for $850...no, that's not a misprint. The sale was very cryptic, I found out after and scoured the country for a sale scope.

And, I love Cameraland--been a loyal customer for years, but Doug's cheaper-priced alpha glass isn't around lately. Shot-show alpha bino offerings never happened. Surprisingly, multitudes of low priced Victory FL 8X42 abnd 10X42 binos never happened. I expected the new HT's to launch a clear out of the old glass. No such luck. Dealers won't cut the slack even if they have 'em.
    Cameraland typically has good sales, but only sometimes great. imho.....I know, I've utilized those great sales.
    I recently waited for a couple weeks to get some Zeiss FL's from Doug; when he returned from vacation it was a disappointment. Nothing really available. I bought a pair from a UK dealer very reasonably including ship.
    Not to mention, Cameraland has limited inventory. It may be a large inventory, but with their presence on virtually every outdoor and birding forum known to mankind, good luck scoring. It can be done, but on Alaska time it is a challenge.

The key is to really dig in and find the deals...

And about the "Sportsman's scam"...it's no wonder. This thread will give some of the mentality about using and returning glass:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ope-65-Spotter
    Proud to be an American!

I put an ad in for trade or barter in the firearms section for trade on a Kimber 8400 Monatana chambered in the .325 WSM with a Leupold scope. I seen a new Swaro 65 body last year on Alaskaslist for 850 with out the eyepice. I was a little too slow to the phone though. That's a smoking deal fullkurl on a spotter. I'm not that lucky.

I found one locally, thanks GDinAk for the heads up.