Thread: What do you consider 'good' groups for .22?

Default What do you consider 'good' groups for .22?

Just got my .22 back from Wild West and took it out to the range. It's an older gun (late 60's/early 70's vintage) and I just hoped the thing would group at all and it did. I got about 2" groups at 75 yards. Just curious what others consider good groups from the 22lr. That little bullet gets affected a lot more by wind and the manufacturing tolerances arent nearly as stringent. What do you all expect out of your .22?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

That is about as good as it gets if that is an older plainJane 22. There are a lot of variables tolook at with a small cal both with the weapon and conditions; wind, temp,distance and rest. Plus shooter not surewhat you were hoping for on groups.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I consider groups of about 1 inch at 25 yards to be good.

I've never owned a Target 22, so I dunno what they're capable of.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Match type 22's at a 100yds should be capable of 1/2 min or better with ideal conditions and quality ammo.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Match type 22's at a 100yds should be capable of 1/2 min or better with ideal conditions and quality ammo.
    You bet. We've got some 22RF benchresting crazies around here that will scare you at 100 yards.

Older guns with perhaps sketchy barrels, I'd accept anything under a couple of inches at 50 yards with their favorite ammo. Newer guns, I'll dump them if they can't break an inch at 50 yards. Most can if you find their preferred ammo and perhaps do a little gun tuning. "Really good" is anything under 1/2" at 50 yards. I have an older Remington 581 LH and a newer CZ LH that will do it with almost boring regularity. It's "boring" because the groups always look the same, no matter what I do. Gotta say the Remington is really picky about ammo, but the CZ seems never to have met a brand it didn't like. BTW- Right out of the box it can shoot right along with my fully tricked out 10/22, match barrel and all. And that's with the single variety of ammo that the 10/22 likes best. Every other variety of ammo, the CZ beats the pants off the 10/22.

2" at 75 yds is pretty darn good from a hunting type .22

If I can get 2" at 50 I'm pretty happy, 1" and I'm ecstatic.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Two inches at 75 yards is pretty good for bulk ammo and a non-enhanced rifle. I managed just over half an inch at 25 yards and a shade under 2 inches at 50 a few days ago with my all stock 10/22. If I could remember what 22 ammo looks like on a store shelf, I would get some match ammo and see what it does. A friend of mine recently bought a Tactical Solutions 10/22, I'm looking forward to finding out if $800 is worth it for a 10/22.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    Two inches at 75 yards is pretty good for bulk ammo and a non-enhanced rifle. I managed just over half an inch at 25 yards and a shade under 2 inches at 50 a few days ago with my all stock 10/22. If I could remember what 22 ammo looks like on a store shelf, I would get some match ammo and see what it does. A friend of mine recently bought a Tactical Solutions 10/22, I'm looking forward to finding out if $800 is worth it for a 10/22.
    The Tac sol X ring 10/22 are AMAZING completely free floated fluted barrell nice triggers good solid rail machined into the receiver. I have one in OD green and it is by far my most accurate rifle even more so than my .17HMR which is crazy accurate. From a bench with "match" ammo it is shooting a single ragged hole @ 75 and just about a single hold @ 50 or less.

There are alot of factors at 75 yards. Dime size groups at 25 Yards to me is Good/Great.

My savage mkii really likes the Good ammo. I'll post up a pic of my 50yard target in a bit.
    I also have a three shot group at 100 yards That's right at an inch. That was with Fiocchi subsonic. And They dropped 8 inches lol

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    My savage mkii really likes the Good ammo. I'll post up a pic of my 50yard target in a bit.
    I also have a three shot group at 100 yards That's right at an inch. That was with Fiocchi subsonic. And They dropped 8 inches lol

sent from my igloo
    I have a MkII heavy barrel and it does really well with CCI standard velocity. 1" at 50 yds is pretty common. I haven't shot any of the bulk for groups, but it's not bad.

Three issues here. Rifles ability, ammo's ability, and most importantly the shooters ability. When all three things click together I would expect an inch or less at 50 yards. With my Coopers I expect under 1/2 inch at 50 yards when there isnt any wind. Once you go beyond 50 yards it is an entire new ball game as just the smallest amount of wind will affect each shot. You either need a totally wind free day or to be an expert in judging wind flags to shoot consistent small groups at ranges past 50 yards.

Here's some targets.
    100 yards with Fiocchi Subsonics

50 yards. A and B are some leftover ammo. The other three are Fiocchi. All but the center are at 50 yards.

Difference between Fiocchi and Remington Thunderbolt ammo.

Stock Savage MKii with accu-trigger and a Tasco 3x9 scope

good groups for a .22:

.36" groups at 100 yds (when the wind to 10mph)
    1.775" groups at 150 yds
    3.072" groups at 200 yds
    With winds fluctuating between 10-30 mph winds.
    Range Compensating Recticle/compact 2-7 power scope
    henry 22 magnum lever action.

Most accurate ammo with minimal meat damage: Federal Target with the 40 grain total metal jackets. Will punch through two pieces of carboard and two piece of 3/4" plywood at 200 yds.
    Longest shot: 125 yd headshot on a swimming beaver........good eatin stuff for a week straight. Missed twice at 50 yds.........that big fella thought he had me tricked when he resurfaced down rivah.

Attached Images Attached Images

That's pretty stinking good. It's hard to justify any more practice time with ammo being as scarce as it is

For plane jane rifles and bulk ammo, anything under 1" at 50yds is good. For target rifles and match ammo 1/2" or less at 50yds is good. My 1919 Savage NRA rifle will shoot between 1/2" to3/4" with Peters brown box bricks. I have never tried match ammo in it as that is good enough for me in a rifle almost 100years old.

For practice, I will use my pellet rifle a lot of times, quite, can shoot in the back yard, or garage, much cheaper, and easy to get ammo, a good pellet rifle can cost a few hundred dollars, but a lot of practice for a few dollars of ammo. I like to practice off hand shooting with it.

I have a Winchester Wildcat, which is a renamed/imported Toz (can't remember the model #), it's pretty accurate. The only time that I have shot it was with, ironically, Winchester Wildcat ammo (the bulk white box) and CCI Mini Mags. This was the 1st 10 shots out of the rifle, using the Wildcats.
    Attachment 69029
    This was w/ CCI Minimags at 50yds.
    Attachment 69030

I have had good luck w/ CCI Minimags in a 10/22, getting about a .28cal hole at 30yds.