Thread: Non-Gore-Tex Boots?

Default Non-Gore-Tex Boots?

After looking for good quality hunting/hiking boots, I realized that I must be the first person in town to ask for a full leather, non-Goretex boot (salesman at REI looked at me like I had a third eye). I can't be the only one in Anchorage that sweats horribly in a lined boot! Over half that i looked at not only had a waterproof membrane, but insulated too? I tend to reserve an insulated boot for when it is below 0 degrees.

I did find a Scarpa Fuego boot with a full shank that Barneys could order, but does anyone else have thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by heathkiks View Post
    After looking for good quality hunting/hiking boots, I realized that I must be the first person in town to ask for a full leather, non-Goretex boot (salesman at REI looked at me like I had a third eye). I can't be the only one in Anchorage that sweats horribly in a lined boot! Over half that i looked at not only had a waterproof membrane, but insulated too? I tend to reserve an insulated boot for when it is below 0 degrees.

I did find a Scarpa Fuego boot with a full shank that Barneys could order, but does anyone else have thoughts on this?
    Man, I feel your pain. Good leather boots, whether for mountaineering or hiking are not impossible to find in the world, but the 18 year old kid at REI (or probably anyplace else) in Anchorage isn't going to have a clue. And unfortunately, buying a good leather boot over the internet without being able to try it on for perfect fit is an undesirable option. No good answers there.

As far as the Scarpa goes, it probably would not be the best choice, if as you say your intent is hiking/hunting. Reason being the full shank. A full shank boot will be very stiff, with almost zero flex in the shank/sole which makes for good mountaineering use with crampons, but makes for an absolutely miserable boot to hike in.

If you want a truly unlined leather boot for summer hiking use, I would give Nicks Boots a call. They're worth every penny. http://www.nicksboots.com/
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I remember having a mountaineering boot made by Vasque that didn't have gore-tex. I hunted sheep in them exclusively.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I should have been more clear about my intended use. This will be a very heavy hiker, sheep, goat boot. I'm not sure if a full shank is needed or not?

I have heard very good things about Nicks. My favorite boot was made by Wesco. I still have them, but they are heavy, have a welted sole and stacked heal.

I'm uncomfortable in Goretex linings, also. I have a pair of Asolo 535V that have a leather lining and are very comfortable. They're a stocky backpacking boot but may be a little light for a sheep boot.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I actually have that same Asolo boot. They are the best backpacking boot I have worn! I am looking for something a little stouter for in the mountains.

Have you tried 5th avenue boot at 7901 old seward in Anchorage. They have a few boots but not sure if they fit your criteria. Just a thought.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    Have you tried 5th avenue boot at 7901 old seward in Anchorage. They have a few boots but not sure if they fit your criteria. Just a thought.

Randy
    I have been there, evidently they can order the Lowa Tibet boot without Gore Tex. I would love to find somewhere that has these in stock.

I have the same issues with sweating like crazy in gore-tex in the summer. I picked a pair of Lowa Mega Camps up last fall and have them nice and broke in for the summer now.

http://www.shoebuy.com/lowa-mega-camp/119619

Basically they are the same height as the Lowa Hunter GTX, full grain leather, glove leather lined interior, and have the same shank as the Hunter and Tibet (so they basically feel the same). They are very comfortable. If you go to Barneys or Boot Country and try on a pair of the Hunters, the Mega Camps will feel and fit the same.

Another one to look at is the Lowa Baffin which is basically the Lowa Tibet without the gore-tex but rather has the glove leather interior.

Quote Originally Posted by heathkiks View Post
    I have been there, evidently they can order the Lowa Tibet boot without Gore Tex. I would love to find somewhere that has these in stock.
    Here you go:

http://www.bakershoe.com/search.cfm/...ts-baffin-pro/

Thanks for the input everyone. This proved more challenging than I thought.