Thread: Looking for a video... 12/20 split.

Default Looking for a video... 12/20 split.

I'm working with my son on his hunter education and we've just completed the section where it asks about sticking a 20ga shell in a 12 ga barrel with the obvious bad outcome.

When I was in Hunter Ed...more years ago than I care to admit- we watched a film where they blew one up with just such a mistake.

I figured it was a good visual lesson for me and will be for my boy too- so I'm looking for a link to a video of the 12/20 split. I did find a F&S video but it's just Phil talking about it....good, but not what I'm looking for.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'm working with my son on his hunter education and we've just completed the section where it asks about sticking a 20ga shell in a 12 ga barrel with the obvious bad outcome.

When I was in Hunter Ed...more years ago than I care to admit- we watched a film where they blew one up with just such a mistake.

I figured it was a good visual lesson for me and will be for my boy too- so I'm looking for a link to a video of the 12/20 split. I did find a F&S video but it's just Phil talking about it....good, but not what I'm looking for.
    Found this one:

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Here's another with lots of damage:

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

And at the other end of the spectrum; no damage at all!

#Resist

Default blown up barrel

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I met a guy once that did that regularly, as a hobby. He would get cheap or free guns donated to him by pawn shops, gun stores, or just people, and go blow them up on purpose to furnish to various hunter safety classes, to pass the blown up gun around from student to student (good technique; it works).

He would plug up the barrell with whatnot (rocks, sand) then squish mud down the barrel a few times, then tie the gun to a tree. He used some light cord to pull the trigger from a hundred yards away, hunkered behind a larger tree.

Sounded like a fun and useful hobby.

Thank you folks...those should do nicely and drive home the point.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit