Default I just lost another old friend... near Rainy Pass

Dang, I have known Ted for 30 years.

Dispatch Article:

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ear-rainy-pass

REUTERS ARTICLE

Three killed in small plane crash along Iditarod trail

By Yereth Rosen

ANCHORAGE, Alaska | Tue Mar 5, 2013 8:22pm EST

(Reuters) - A small plane crashed near a mountain checkpoint along the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, killing all three people aboard, state officials said on Tuesday.

Searchers found wreckage of the plane, a Cessna 182, on Tuesday near the 4,000-foot level of Rainy Pass in the Alaska Range north of Anchorage.

Rainy Pass is one of the early checkpoints in the 1,000-mile Iditarod, which began in Anchorage on Saturday.

The search began late on Monday when the plane was reported missing, the Alaska National Guard said. It failed to reach its destination of Takotna, an Athabascan village that serves as a race checkpoint 176 miles beyond Rainy Pass.

Killed were pilot Ted Smith, 59, a retired Anchorage police officer, and passengers Carolyn Sorvoja, 48, and Rosemarie Sorvoja, 10, the Alaska State Troopers said. All were from Eagle River.

The plane and those aboard were not part of the "Iditarod Air Force," the group of volunteer pilots who ferry supplies and race officials to checkpoints and take dropped dogs back to Anchorage, said a race spokeswoman.

"All our pilots and all our folks are accounted for," Iditarod spokeswoman Erin McLarnon said.

But skies above the Iditarod Trail are typically busy during the race with numerous other small aircraft carrying spectators.

It was unclear whether the crash victims were following the Iditarod, said Megan Peters, a spokeswoman for the Alaska State Troopers said. She said the two females were mother and daughter.

The wreckage was found by an Air National Guard helicopter crew. The victims' bodies were recovered, and an investigation into the crash has been launched, Alaska National Guard officials said.

(Editing by Dan Whitcomb and Carol Bishopric)
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I'm sorry for their death and your loss FP.

That is the last way I thought Ted would go.. But I have not talked with him since last spring... So you never know...

At our age there is always the chance that you grab your chest one moment and start banging on St Peter's Gate the next...

I am sorry for your loss FP. APD has lost another retiree. Sucks Muchly.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

FP my most sincere condolences to you and to the families affected...Was praying for a better outcome for those folks...RIP...

Supporting Member

I was sorry to see the news about this....was hoping for a better outcome.

Dang, I remember when Ted would bring out some of the SRT team toys to ft Rich and taught us tactics and shooting every once in a while. He was a lot of fun and a great guy RIP
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sounds like crappy weather.... My wife just gave me The Talk,, again....

Definitely the end of an era. Ted was one of a kind. Many of us are better because of him. And more than a few of us, have not only survived, but have overcome some fairly dynamic encounters because of his leadership and instruction. Well done Ted, rest in peace. Thoughts and prayers to your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Sounds like crappy weather.... My wife just gave me The Talk,, again....
    It's good to get an occasional reminder from folks that haven't inured themselves to the crummy weather that maybe we shouldn't be too comfortable in it either.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

It's a tough and very unforgiving country for pilots. I'm truly sorry for those three, especially the youngster, who was only getting started with her life.

My sincere and heartfelt condolences to friends and families.

I'll fondly remember Ted walking up to me on the range and snuffing out his fat cigar in the action of my AR-15.... As he walked away he would always say "you should really close your dust cover..."

Rest easy Sarge.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

One source says the wreck was at the 4,000 ft level the other at 4,500 ft....
    The words significant impact were used... along with the need for tools to cut the wreckage open for retrieval...
    Not Good.

I am about the same age, sixtyish and in the last few years I am filing fewer flight plans and not looking at the weather on NOAA as closely, need to step it up. I need to get back to when I was a 30ish pilot spending a few hours in preflight based upon what I was trained to do before I would launch on an Alaskan adventure. Just because you have been there and done that many many many times does not mean that you do not do your homework. Especially with souls on board.

Just speculation but he may have entered Rainy when the wind was not in his favor, along with limited visibility.

I do not know what happened ... I was not in the left seat, there are situations where it was "an act of God" but I will try and tighten up my act ... before I launch.

I am not going to don my tin-foil hat for this one. Rainy Pass is the basic area name that everyone recognizes. Anything within 20 miles is the Rainy Pass area as far as non-pilots ( most people in the state) are concerned. And since most people in Anchorage have never been past Eagle River, you could them anything and they would be satisfied. Likewise, as a commercial pilot and CFI, I can wait for the NTSB report.
    Filling this 30% of this article with a 1968 crash report is something of a Red Herring..

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...not-tell-truth