Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did you pay to tan your bear skin?

Default What did you pay to tan your bear skin?

As I have said in previous posts I am new to bear hunting and was curious as to what most of you payed for your bear hide to be tanned or even have a 1/4 mount made up?

i paid 350 for a 6 ft black bear and it took a year but i was happy,.. the hide turned out nice

Cost me 250 for a small five footer. That was just tanning. I know some folks will rib me for shooting a 5 footer but it was a beautiful spring cinnamon bear and I have never shot a color phase so I couldn't resist. Besides, I like to get at least one spring blackie every year for meat. A slow roasted/smoked bb haunch is out of this world eating quality.

$300 for a 6' bear my wife got - just picked it up a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    $300 for a 6' bear my wife got - just picked it up a week ago.
    How did it turn out? Do you have any photos of the finish product?

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    How did it turn out? Do you have any photos of the finish product?
    It turned out excellent, though I don't have any pictures. We're now having the discussion on whether to have it rugged or not. At first she wasn't interested, but now that it's here, it may be too nice to just hang from a hook.

Generally runs from a low of $50 to about $65 a foot in length. Remeber, that does not include fleshing so that is usually extra.

Yeah fleshing and salting, turning ears eyes mouth lips nose tail and taking out paws will cost around $350+ for an average bear. Do it yourself if you are confident in your abilities, lot of tips and advice on here for it. I worked in a taxidermy shop for 3 years. If you can do it yourself, you'll save big bucks.

Release Lake Trout

From your posts it looks like you are in Anchorage and on Ft Rich side of JBER. If so and you get a bear and need help with the flshing and turning the eyes, nose, ears, lips let me know. If I'm here, I'll give you some help and unofficial lessons.

I charge 65.00 a Linear foot, that includes removing the head, turning the ears, nose, lips and spliting the eye lids, fleshing and Tanning. Turn around on "tan only" is roughly 60-90 days
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I charge 65.00 a Linear foot, that includes removing the head, turning the ears, nose, lips and spliting the eye lids, fleshing and Tanning. Turn around on "tan only" is roughly 60-90 days
    That's a decent price for all that work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    From your posts it looks like you are in Anchorage and on Ft Rich side of JBER. If so and you get a bear and need help with the flshing and turning the eyes, nose, ears, lips let me know. If I'm here, I'll give you some help and unofficial lessons.
    I will take you up on that when I get my bruin.

Moyle's $145.00 for tanning only.

145 sounds a bit light depending on bear size. That said, my 6.75' brown bear cost right around $275. That was tanned for mounting though, I did all of the fleshing, ear turning, lip splitting, and salting myself.

Moyles does a great job, although it did come back with a couple of the claws stapled back in, which I hear is fairly common and didnt affect anything that I could see.

Last bear we dropped off a green (needed to be turned, fleshed, etc... although the skull was removed) cost me $500- to get it back tanned.
    Jesse (Hoytguy) will get my next one (this spring).
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Last bear we dropped off a green (needed to be turned, fleshed, etc... although the skull was removed) cost me $500- to get it back tanned.
    Jesse (Hoytguy) will get my next one (this spring).
    BK
    That is a pretty good deal. Especially knowing that the person doing it will do a good job.

Best deal.....Moyle's Mink Farm and Tannery, Idaho. Bear $145.00. I had three done it took three months and they did a phenominal job. No place can touch them.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    Best deal.....Moyle's Mink Farm and Tannery, Idaho. Bear $145.00. I had three done it took three months and they did a phenominal job. No place can touch them.
    Does that include fleshing, splitting, ear turning, and all the stuff that Hoytguy does?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Does that include fleshing, splitting, ear turning, and all the stuff that Hoytguy does?
    No, Moyles is a commercial tannery, they store your hide in bins until they get around to tanning them so they must be fleshed clean, turned and dried. You don't want them rotting in shipping either.

I believe they will do some prep work for aditional cost but i'm not sure you could mail it to them for that work without it rotting.

I just have to throw this out, having worked on a caribou cape this last week end. DO NOT salt the hide until it is fleshed. Working on a hide that's been salted without it being fleshed is a nightmare. It also give a false sense of security because you think its salted and should be ok for a few days. In fact it won't because of the salt not getting to the hide, just on the meat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast