Thread: Help me decide!

Default Help me decide!

I am trying to decide what to do with my brownie from last spring, and figured you forum members could give me some feedback. I am remodeling a room into a trophy den, so ill have some room for a life size. It's 9' so I'm not sure about cutting it in half. A rug would be fine, could put it on the floor or wall, and that's what mama likes. It does have one rub, on the hump, about 3x8", that would really show on a rug. I have looked at a bunch of life sized, with my favorite so far being at Knights. It is walking slightly uphill,looking to the side, closed mouth. Anyway looking forward to some more thoughts!

If it was me I'd just go with a rug. But if I was to do a mount, the only mounts I really like are like the one you mentioned....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

If you have room, and can afford the extra cost, a life size is much more impressive than a rug. Get with any reputable taxidermist and he/she can custom build a pose that best suits your personal taste and would minimize the visibility of any minor deficiencies in the hide (such as the small rub you mentioned). They can also build the design of the base to best fit your display area, and fairly closely match the terrain features common to the hunt area.

I too prefer a closed mouth (or slightly open mouth) to the aggressive poses that are so popular.

Yeah it's pricey, but a full body mount can actually take up surprisingly little floor space and be a great memory of the hunt experience.

(Full disclosure - I'm a taxidermist, but that's not why I like full body mounts -- I just think they're amazing when done well)

I very much recommend you go with a life size mount. Way more more impressive than a rug or a half mount but the price isn't for the faint of heart. I completely agree with you on closed mouth. I also think putting the bear down on all four feet is much better than standing on rear legs. A standing bear shows off the bears belly which is the thinnest hair on the whole body. Another option is to do a pose where the front legs are just coming off the ground like the bear is just starting to stand up on its hind legs. This pose emphasizes size while still letting you look at the side of the bear where the best fur is. You can also have the bear mounted with a little twist to help hide the rub spot.

Right now I'm struggeling with the same question. Mine isn't quite as big as yours. The hide turned out great. Dave, Lone Wolf 1, as some nice mounts in his home, which he works out of. There's a half mount on his wall that isn't the usual "coming out to attack pose" that I am thinking about if I can't figure out where to put it. Give Dave a call and go take a look. There are full size mounts I have seen that take up surprisingly little space. But has always, keep mama happy becasue if mama aint happy, no one is happy good luck.

If you can afford life size, do it. Another fan of closed or slightly opened mount. LoneWolf1 has one of the coolest mounts in his house that I've seen. I plan on having it done for an interior grizz, once I find just the right one. For those bigger coastals there are lots of great options, this one is my all time favorite.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

If I connect in afognak this year I would personally do a life size walking standing would be cool and less space