Thread: 1911 improvements

Default 1911 improvements

I own a Ruger SR1911. I understand there are some tweaks that can be made to make it work smoother. Just curious what these are and what I can expect to pay to have these done. Thank you

Well that is a very long list on any 1911. There are tons of tweaks can be done so what is it you are looking to do with it, what are you looking for? The starting point is usually trigger work but you need to know something about how you want it. You donít want a light trigger on an everyday packing side arm but may for other uses. Shortening the reset is always good as is getting rid of any creep and over travel. If your shooting paper for points you may want to tighten everything up for accuracy but if itís a defense gun you may not because that may make it less reliable. Basically what Iím saying is weíll need some idea of what the gun is to be used for to help ya much at all.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

First off I definately no expert in guns.This gun was given to me as a present from my wife and I have shot a couple hundred rounds through it with no troubles. It was mentioned to me by a friend that I could have the trigger and other parts polished etc. to make the gun possibly work smoother than it does straight from the box. This is basically to be used as a self defense gun and plinking. I'm not interested in a hair trigger or adding a bunch of fancy add ons. Just want it to be reliable. Hope this makes sense.

I'm not a 1911 expert by no means, but have several and have tweeked most of them myself. I have heard very good reports on the Ruger SR 1911 from reading though never shot one. I also here they come from the factory with a very decent trigger for a factory gun. If you want an opinion, I would say invest in lots of ammo or reloading components and shoot it plenty. If afterwards, you still want to tweek it some, look at Brownell's. They carry everything you could need to build one from scratch or rebuild one. A lot of guys will replace all the fire control components with higher end tool steel parts from makers like Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, or Cylinder and Slide. A guy should probabably realize right at the start that he is probably only increasing the value of his 1911 for himself, but just my opinion.

You can also very easily add different grips and there are tons to choose from, factory, custom, wood, G10, aluminum, ect... Some guys like to add and ambi safety, or revert back to single side safety for factory ambi set ups. I personally don't think there would be anything major you could change out on your Ruger to make it more dependable other than rounds down range to prove'dis-prove reliability. Most of the factory guns now days are coming out of the box pretty reliable. If you get a lemon (and there are some out there from every maker I guess) it will usually reveal itself pretty fast. Might try and put as many types of ammo and bullet types thru her as you can afford. That is my 2 cents. Enjoy your new pistol, have read they are a lot of 1911 for the $$.

You can always just make it look cool to, this is my son's gun and was done by Alaska Hydrographic.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

First thing to do and you can do this yourself: polish the feedramp. Less is more, but if you take your time you'll get it so it looks like it's chrome plated. Makes the rounds just slide right in.

Orrr....just take it to WWG and tell them to slick it up real nice and drop in the parts/mods to make it near 100% reliable.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...