Thread: Spring Fever

Default Spring Fever

Dying to get out and pull the trigger on something small and furry (or feathery)... Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm in ANC and don't want to drive more than 2-3 hours if possible.
    Any hot spots out there right now?

Fuzzy

There is plenty of small game to be found within 2-3 hours of Anchorage, but since 1/2 of the state's population lives within that area, most folks aren't going to share such spots here. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but if you're only willing to drive that far, the best thing you can do is get out and look for tracks. When you find tracks, be it hare, ptarmigan, or predator, start making some tracks of your own. There are some gems out there close to town, but they cease to be gems when they're shared too publicly.

How about 4 hours?
    All good, no offense taken. Thanks for the advice. Not looking for the hunt of the century, and don't have a lot of time to go. So if anyone feels inclined to share in a PM some places/species I promise not to over-hunt the area.

Drive to Pt. MacKenzie; there are many trails clearly visible (and some even marked) from the two lane blacktop road that goes all the way to the end of the Pt. where you can look across the Cook Inlet and see the Anchorage skyscrapers.

For ptarmigan get above tree line and look for tracks. Put in the work and you will find birds. Bring a set of binos.
    This time of year the 2-3k ft range is usually pretty good