Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repower Uniflite

Default Repower Uniflite

I have a 27' Uniflite and looking at possibly repowering. It currently has twin 318's. I did a quick search on here but didn't really see much. Anybody have thoughts on new motors and where to get them? Thank you for the input.

Randy

Halibut Grove had a couple of Steiner diesels for sale that might work.

Are you looking for bigger/smaller/newer/diesel engines? If you like the 318s but they're tired, you can have them rebuilt locally or get new ones and swap them out yourselves, or pay someone to do it. Google "marine long blocks" for an idea of what is available, and at what price. On those Chryslers, any Mopar small-block (318, 340 or 360) will bolt up. If I recall correctly, some of the heads are tapped differently for one bolt that holds the alternator bracket based on the casting year, but the oil pans, intake/exhaust manifolds, bell housings, etc. will all fit.
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

Guys,

I kind of left the question open because I am open as to what I do. The existing engine blocks are 1985 according to my sources. Changing them out myself is not a problem. I have the tools and have done my own repairs and engine overhauls in my trucks over the years. I don't have the knowledge of where to look for boat motors so thought I would start getting idears here.

Randy

caotaindd,

Are you referring to the Halibut Grove in Valdez?

Randy

Yes it is Mel who owns the Halibut Grove in Valdez. He lives in Big Lake and I think that is where the engines are.
    Dennis

Default Diesel if you can afford them...

My 31' Uniflite Cruiser was repowered from 318's to TAMD31-P's @ 150hp ea. it's a good setup. Economical for diesels I think and i cruise @ 18 to 21 knots, can get it to about 26 but can't afford too. I like the set up over-all, just wish I could keep up with the others at 30. .

Volvo doesn't make this specific one anymore but the newest model is near the same fit they told me and could go up to a six cylinder if you wanted. Just depends how much you want to invest.

Attachment 68777

PM if you want any more info.
    Tony

Throw a pair of 350's in it way cheaper than diesels and i hear those new 350's are pretty good on gas. If you put a pair of volvo D-4's in it i bet it would be 65 grand just for the engines plus you'd probably have to change shafts, props, bearing/cutlass and transmissions so make it 80 grand.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Throw a pair of 350's in it way cheaper than diesels and i hear those new 350's are pretty good on gas. If you put a pair of volvo D-4's in it i bet it would be 65 grand just for the engines plus you'd probably have to change shafts, props, bearing/cutlass and transmissions so make it 80 grand.
    Steve's pretty darn close on the price. I was looking at about 70k with transmissions etc. I figured I can buy a lot of fuel for that price, not to mention going a little slower really isn't all that bad, it allows me to enjoy the sites along the way. That's my story - and I'm sticking to it...

Good luck on your options....
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    caotaindd,

Are you referring to the Halibut Grove in Valdez?

Randy

Hello Randy,

As Dennis said I have a pair of Steyr 240hp engines available with zero hours on them after a manufacturer overhaul. Give me a call if it's something your interested in. They come with service tools, and numerous spare service parts that should last a rec guy years.

Mel
    357-9323

I think it depends how fast you want to go. 80k for a repower is crazy for a boat that size/vintage, unless you are producing a good income with the boat. When you are talking those numbers, you might as well put on a whale tale with twin 250 4 Strokes. I wonder what a single 300HP 4.2 L Yamaha 4 Stroke would do on the back... Perhaps a 18-20kt cruise at 12-14 GPH? Not sure how heavy that 27'r is.

I used to own a 27' Uniflite Sportfisher with a single 454 and a Volvo 280 duoprop. It got up on step and flew the key was to have a trim/tilt on the outdrive. It had a 1.89 ratio but a 1.64(?) is what it should have had with the 454. I have seen that same boat with the twin 318s. There was another identical 27' Uniflite here in Juneau with a single straight shaft Ford 351 that also planned out and went good.

My family currently owns a 31' Uniflite Express like the one owned by tzielie22 and it has twin 350 mercruisers (270 hp ea). That boat was repowered 15 years ago for 25k. It used to have twin Chrysler 440s.

Neither of those boats should be repowered with outboards.

I currently have a 23' Uniflite Sportfisher in my driveway which is someday going to get repowered. I yanked out the old OMC 225 hp Stinger outdrive (big black rubber outdrive gasketed thing). I'd love to go outboard, or diesel, but for the coin a new gas sterndrive may be what happens. Any one want to take her off my hands?

Sobie2

If you go back with gas you might look at fuel injection, more mpg + power.

What is wrong with twin 318s? They are inexpensive, dependable, and you just swap them out when they get tired. That's what I'd do.....I you want, you can build them up some, but your boat probably goes just fine with them the way they are. I'm no expert in chrysler stuff for sure, but if I remember right, 360s are the same physical size and should be a bolt in if you want more power. Something to research if you go that direction.

sell it and buy this one. It has twin 440s that should get up and go!

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/boa/3657163271.html

Bauer,

Nothing wrong with 318 that I know of just don't know of a source around for marine motors. I am going to at least call Mel and check on those but you guys are scaring me about the price. Not real interested in sinking many grand into the boat just for the sake of new motors. What I have runs and goes good on the water but they are getting a little old.

Bsj425,

Nice boat and should do good but not where I want to go at this time. Is that yours?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    Bauer,

Nothing wrong with 318 that I know of just don't know of a source around for marine motors. I am going to at least call Mel and check on those but you guys are scaring me about the price. Not real interested in sinking many grand into the boat just for the sake of new motors. What I have runs and goes good on the water but they are getting a little old.

Bsj425,

Nice boat and should do good but not where I want to go at this time. Is that yours?

Randy

I wish.. I dont have that kind of money just yet. I just happen to come across it shortly after reading this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    sell it and buy this one. It has twin 440s that should get up and go!

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/boa/3657163271.html
    700 horses, and you cruise at 10knots??
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    700 horses, and you cruise at 10knots??
    I was wondering the same thing - unless just light cruising is the thing for them, but should run at least 14 to 16...
    Tony

http://www.remanufactured-marine-eng...e-engines.html

http://www.usenginesinc.com/Marine-E...ne-Engine.html

Buy two long blocks. Swap the manifolds, carbs, oil pan and such so long as they are good. About 4-5K and then your time. Add a couple of thousand in upgrades and repairs once your engines are out. So, 7k for a repower. You are TENS of thousands ahead of buying diesels. Thats a lot of gas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast