Thread: New article about shrimp fishing on F&G site

Default New article about shrimp fishing on F&G site

Here's a link to a new aticle about shrimping, released today by Fish & Games "Alaska Fish and Widlife News"

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=596

Good luck out there........

I'm glad to see the shrimp coming back. Those shrimp look tasty. I can't wait to set some pots once I get my residency. Oh well, until I can go shrimping I guess it gives me time to do a little research. Thanks for sharing Sockeye Salm.

Quote Originally Posted by Eatsleepfish View Post
    I'm glad to see the shrimp coming back. Those shrimp look tasty. I can't wait to set some pots once I get my residency. Oh well, until I can go shrimping I guess it gives me time to do a little research. Thanks for sharing Sockeye Salm.
    If you are referring to P.W.S. shrimp then you can target them as a non-resident. You just need a sport fishing license, the permit, and there is even a check mark box for non-residents.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    If you are referring to P.W.S. shrimp then you can target them as a non-resident. You just need a sport fishing license, the permit, and there is even a check mark box for non-residents.
    Thanks, I had no idea! Will check into it.

So if only in PWS is nonresident, are there other places residents can shrimp such as the Cook Inlet, ect?

The best shrimping in SC is in PWS. You can shrimp out of Seward but the catch rates are a fraction of what you'll get out of PWS, well unless you motor into PWS via Resserection Bay.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eatsleepfish View Post

So if only in PWS is nonresident, are there other places residents can shrimp such as the Cook Inlet, ect?
    Nope, there are no shrimp seasons in Cook Inlet. Some years there is a tanner crab fishery out of Homer, but it wasn't open last year and I haven't heard any indication that it will be this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Nope, there are no shrimp seasons in Cook Inlet. Some years there is a tanner crab fishery out of Homer, but it wasn't open last year and I haven't heard any indication that it will be this year.
    So the reason there is no shrimp fishing from the Cook Inlet is that there are not enough shrimp? (correct me if I'm wrong) We found a shrimp washed on shore a while back, and some in Halibut stomachs in the Cook Inlet...

I've got to assume that's the case. Most of Cook Inlet isn't the right habitat for spot shrimp, which prefer rocky bottoms and deeper water. There may be other shrimp varieties out there, but not likely very many spot shrimp. Once you get to Kachemak Bay and points beyond it seems like it should be better shrimp habitat, but there is no fishery there for whatever reason.

Yep, and those halibut are pelagic...they roam a long way, so could have shrimp in their gut that they didn't eat in Cook Inlet, and puke a few up to wash on the beach. Check out Potbuilder on the forum and his website for shrimping gear, good stuff and he will tell you all you need to know to get started. They are deep, you need a pot puller or a big friend that really owes you to pull the pots up

Default Shrimp rebounding?

My personal opinion does not agree with this statement and I would simply ask, have you caught more or less shrimp over the last 3 years?

Looks like a warm fuzzy justification for turning the commercial guys in on us for another round of carnage!

Mike

From what I have noticed over the last 3 years is that the population has gone down. Fishing the same areas and trying new is seems to be getting worse. Whether or not its the commercial guys or just the increase in fishing them alone. I just dont think the PWS is big enough for commercial use.

Quote Originally Posted by keepin r' wet View Post
    From what I have noticed over the last 3 years is that the population has gone down. Fishing the same areas and trying new is seems to be getting worse. Whether or not its the commercial guys or just the increase in fishing them alone. I just dont think the PWS is big enough for commercial use.
    ya think 3000 rec permits issued last year has anything to do with it ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    ya think 3000 rec permits issued last year has anything to do with it ???
    Exactly why they should not have opened it to commercial. It was a unique situation in that no one could claim their livelyhood was dependent on commercial spot shrimping, and growing recreational use since PWS is close to over half the population of Alaska. They should have kept it strictly recreational and then dial back on that harvest when it began to impact the populations. Now they've set it up for the classic fight over who gets what.

If the rebound statement held any water they would not have closed the commercial fishery early last year DUE TO NO SHRIMP!

I wonder if ADFG would recognize the results of a little straw poll? Quite simply, have you caught more or less shrimp in the last 3 years?

What cha think Mr. Moderator, are we up for a poll?

Mike