Thread: June halibut charters

Default June halibut charters

We'll be on the KP from June 15-25. looking for a full day butt charter, and planning is still pretty open so Seward or Homer are both OK. I know we're too early for lings, and lilely silvers as well, so from a purely butt standpoint, any reason to look toward one port over the other? Time of season make any difference maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    We'll be on the KP from June 15-25. looking for a full day butt charter, and planning is still pretty open so Seward or Homer are both OK. I know we're too early for lings, and lilely silvers as well, so from a purely butt standpoint, any reason to look toward one port over the other? Time of season make any difference maybe?
    Look at the tide book for both areas. More water moving in Seward is better, less water moving in Homer is often considered better. Now that is a rule of thumb, not always the case as many Homer captains will drift with the large tides and the tides don't affect them as much. Either port for full day charters will typically make long runs to the fishing grounds.

I personally have caught bigger fish out of Seward in June than I have out of Homer, that's not to say that is the norm.

As many have replied to many other questions like yours, make a few phone calls to charter companies in both ports. After 3 or 4 conversations you will have an idea of who is on the maybe list and who won't get your business. Cheapest is usually the most desperate. The best are booked out or near it.

June is a fun time to be fishing in Alaska for sure, either port will provide you the opportunity you wish to have.

Good luck!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher