Thread: Wild West Alaska

Default Wild West Alaska

So watch the show, seemed decent, but one show they went halibut fishing and bison hunting to get ready for a wedding, on halibut trip they had 4 people on the boat, looked like a charter boat and they caught 25 halibut for the wedding thought you could not proxcy fish any more

So, where's the guy from Homer that always jumps on this sort of thing? Maybe they didn't truly keep them all or maybe ADFG granted them a limit pardon seeing how it was an Alaskan TV show about an Alaskan wedding?

maybe you just didn't notice the sun come up and go down 5 times?
    Mike

Default halibut

I believe halibut is a federal resource, so adf&g would not be able to do that. Maybe they were on a commerical fishing boat?

I think that show sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post
    So watch the show, seemed decent, but one show they went halibut fishing and bison hunting to get ready for a wedding, on halibut trip they had 4 people on the boat, looked like a charter boat and they caught 25 halibut for the wedding thought you could not proxcy fish any more
    Without seeing that episode I can't say for certain, however there are subsistence permits. http://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/ram/...libut.htm#regs

If they were using a subsistence permit for that episode, I wish they would announce it even if in subtitles that they only harvested 25 fish under federal subsistence harvest guidelines. Its confusing to the viewers and upsets the local Alaskans. Actually this statement goes for all the reality TV shows based in AK these days.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I would led Phred net my fish anyday... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

25 halibut for a wedding party? Wow, not much reality there, or they were really tiny chickens!

You can't proxy fish for halibut but can for other fish. It's the federal thing with halibut.

For subsistence you can't use rod and reel. Only hand line or long line.

MGH55, Poles are allowed and legal.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    MGH55, Poles are allowed and legal.
    Yup, what he said. Atleast here in Kodiak...
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

I just checked the regs, and it still has hand line and long line. Where do you see different?

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    I just checked the regs, and it still has hand line and long line. Where do you see different?
    See FAQ #2

http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/ram/subsistence/halibutFAQ.pdf
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Page 15/22 of the regulations on this page. http://http://alaskafisheries.noaa.g...es/fr18145.pdf

(1) Subsistence fishing is limited to setline gear and hand-held gear, including longline, handline, rod and reel, spear, jig and hand-troll gear.

Now it may have been modified after the original rules were adopted in 2003????
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I am glad it changed, sure will be more fun. My kids will have way more fun

Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post
    It's TV. Who cares? Nothing is as it seems on TV. Almost everyone knows this, but people still have fake concerns about the law being broken. Leave the law breaking to the law enforcement officers and just be thankful that there are shows that advertise Alaska because the economy is getting ready to take a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    It's TV. Who cares? Nothing is as it seems on TV. Almost everyone knows this, but people still have fake concerns about the law being broken. Leave the law breaking to the law enforcement officers and just be thankful that there are shows that advertise Alaska because the economy is getting ready to take a dump.
    That's true, but you have to admit that there have been a good number of obvious fish/game violations shown clearly on similar hunting/fishing television shows that the people have been prosecuted for after the show aired in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by pacwestfishtaxidermy View Post
    it's tv. Who cares? Nothing is as it seems on tv. Almost everyone knows this, but people still have fake concerns about the law being broken. Leave the law breaking to the law enforcement officers and just be thankful that there are shows that advertise alaska because the economy is getting ready to take a dump.
    amen!!!!!!

Folks, can we keep the conversation positive? If you don't like the show, don't watch it. Keep the negativity out of it, please.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    That's true, but you have to admit that there have been a good number of obvious fish/game violations shown clearly on similar hunting/fishing television shows that the people have been prosecuted for after the show aired in recent years.
    I am only aware of one incident but I don't doubt you. I bet there are 50 calls with every little mistake. None of the calls will ever be from me though.