Thread: Bucket List trip to Alaska, need advice:

Default Bucket List trip to Alaska, need advice:

I'm retireing this summer and a trip to Alaska has been a lifelong dream. My wife and I want to visit right after Labor Day to avoid the crowds. I also would love to take a day trip or two for ptarmigan. I've looked at some of the lodges on the web but they are way over my budget and they are for multiple days. I can't get away with leaving my wife with nothing to do for a week as she doesn't fish or hunt. Any advice as to a guide that does day trips would be appreciated.

Have you taken a look at Alpine Creek Lodge out along the Denali Highway? Excellent bird hunting out there along with spectacular grayling fishing (though the grayling are starting to vacate the streams in September). Alpine Creek is like staying with your friends - and really dang affordable. You'll be sharing the lodge with some moose and caribou hunters that time of year, but they border on a non-motorized controlled use area, so once you step off the road you'll be all alone to pursue ptarmigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Have you taken a look at Alpine Creek Lodge out along the Denali Highway? Excellent bird hunting out there along with spectacular grayling fishing (though the grayling are starting to vacate the streams in September). Alpine Creek is like staying with your friends - and really dang affordable. You'll be sharing the lodge with some moose and caribou hunters that time of year, but they border on a non-motorized controlled use area, so once you step off the road you'll be all alone to pursue ptarmigan.
    Good advice there ! Not to mention it is located in midst of some beautiful country !

These folks do fly out day trips from the Kenai area. I do believe that they have been on a couple of TV bird hunting shows as well.

http://allalaska.com/alaska-ptarmigan-hunting.html

At Alpine Creek you can drive east and start hunting the north side of the road as the mountain ridge and road diverge away from each other. There are places to pull out and park. The only issue is that there will have been frequent caribou hunters walking through there from August 10 or 20 and the birds may be moved out from the road a long way. But you never know until you get there what the birds are doing. They can fly a long ways and cover miles of country.

Ak Ray is right about All Alaska Outdoors Lodge in Soldotna. Owner Bob Ledda is a fantatical bird hunter and he flies around locating ptarmigan for his clients. It won't be real inexpensive, but it will be a grand adventure and one you can tailor to your needs and requirements as well as a successful hunt.

Jim

I too would recommend Bob... I have had a few different conversations with him over the phone and via email. He listened and was forthcoming with information. He was willing to oblige the needs of his clients. He also talked pretty intelligently about bird dogs, and bird mamagement/conservation pratices which to me is just as important as actually finding birds. That combination of bird/habitat and dog knowledge is wonderful. I hope to take a trip with him some day just to be out there in a new environment and to work dogs with another dog person.

I don't know who it is, but there is another guide that does day trips out of Valdez area...anyone know who that is?

Good luck to you. Hope you succeed in filling the "bucket"! Send us a report with pictures.

Burke,

Okay, so let's do a fly out with Bob! And besides all of the fine things you said about Bob, you won't have to take care of this old guy when I do something stupid up in the mountains. Bob is an ER Doc!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I too would recommend Bob... I have had a few different conversations with him over the phone and via email. He listened and was forthcoming with information. He was willing to oblige the needs of his clients. He also talked pretty intelligently about bird dogs, and bird mamagement/conservation pratices which to me is just as important as actually finding birds. That combination of bird/habitat and dog knowledge is wonderful. I hope to take a trip with him some day just to be out there in a new environment and to work dogs with another dog person.

I don't know who it is, but there is another guide that does day trips out of Valdez area...anyone know who that is?

Good luck to you. Hope you succeed in filling the "bucket"! Send us a report with pictures.
    I believe Burke is referring to Alaska Wildfowl Adventures. They do cast and blast trips out of Valdez. Water fowl seems to be their bread and butter, but they offer upland hunts as well.

http://www.akduckhunts.com/
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans