Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: were to catch pike?

Default were to catch pike?

hay guys i was wondering if anybody knows were to catch pike i live in the wasilla area and can snowmachine in or fly so it does not need to be easy to get to

I'm trying to find some Pike fishing too. I've tried Big Lake and Flat Lake today with no luck either place. I've heard Red Shirt has Pike. I'll have to set up my snow machine with a tow behind sled to get out there. If your interested in linking up to go sometime let me know. Maybe someone else will post one here some places to go.

Red shirt and Nancy are good ones.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Red shirt and Nancy are good ones.
    Not that I want to argue, but I was at Redshirt Sunday and fished 5 hours with 15 tipups (had my kids with me) and had only 4 flags...I have fished there quite a bit and I would not call 4 flags in 75 tipup-hours "good". The fish we caught were like this one (small):

I can't speak to the actual bodies of water, but I found when icefishing Bristol Bay, that March and April tend to be slower fishing for Pike.....I have no witchcraft ideas as to why but they seem to be pretty lethargic and my action has tailed off despite knowing that the fish I caught in December have not left the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I can't speak to the actual bodies of water, but I found when icefishing Bristol Bay, that March and April tend to be slower fishing for Pike.....I have no witchcraft ideas as to why but they seem to be pretty lethargic and my action has tailed off despite knowing that the fish I caught in December have not left the lake.
    I think the answer is the low dissolved oxygen levels in ice-covered lakes come Feb/March make the fish sluggish. I have noticed pike aggressively bite (as in they pick up and swallow the bait almost immediately) in Nov/Dec/Jan, then timidly bite (as in they pick up and drop the bait almost immediately) in Feb/March. Fishing near a source of flowing water into or out of a lake is the best way to try and combat the low oxygen problem.

That said despite the slow bite, I truly enjoy ice fishing for pike during March because March is a darn beautiful month here in AK!

I like to fish for them right as the ice melts away, they seem to be super agressive at that point.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Definitely, late ice is a good time. I've been stationed in areas where we got to watch break up from a field camp. Quick hikes to open water bays yielded excellent spinning and fly rod action as well. Although they didn't have the same fight as when water warmed.

Sketchy hikes onto candled ice areas also yielded excellent action.....but definitely needs done with safety in mind.

Agreed Berto, March and April ice fishing is a nice time to be out there......waaaay too much ice but the snogoing is often very solid and a 35 degree day with full power sun that almost requires sunblock is a welcome start to spring/summer.

I have always hit Redshirt about a week after the ice is out, and have never been let down. Been some years since I was out there last but the LEAST I ever caught out of that lake was 11 in 3 hours. Never ice fished it though. During the summer I always had the best luck on the for side of the lake (Strait across from the trail head) in the weed beds on the island and the far shore hitting those weed beds. We would walk in at first light, and be on the water before the sun was up. I want to do it again this year, been about 7 years since I was back there now that I think about it. My brother landed a 32 incher out of there before, and I had one hooked equally as big but lost it in weeds. Most of the ones we caught though were between 12 and 24 inches.

O and granted it was summer, not iced over, we had best luck using weedless frogs. I never bring less than 5 with me as they will chew them up pretty quick and will start sinking after 5-10 strikes in my experience.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    I have always hit Redshirt about a week after the ice is out, and have never been let down. Been some years since I was out there last but the LEAST I ever caught out of that lake was 11 in 3 hours. Never ice fished it though. During the summer I always had the best luck on the for side of the lake (Strait across from the trail head) in the weed beds on the island and the far shore hitting those weed beds. We would walk in at first light, and be on the water before the sun was up. I want to do it again this year, been about 7 years since I was back there now that I think about it. My brother landed a 32 incher out of there before, and I had one hooked equally as big but lost it in weeds. Most of the ones we caught though were between 12 and 24 inches.
    What's that trail like to Red Shirt? Is it possible/legal to take a mountain bike in there?

Like I said its been about 7 years lol, but last time I was back their right after break up it could get a little muddy but passable on a bike, just might have to get off a few times. A couple weeks after break up it was usually good enough to ride a bike back their. I would bring a chain and lock though, I use to almost always run into at least one or two people and I wouldn't trust it to sit off the trail not locked to a good sturdy tree. I dont trust people lol.

As for Legal, I dont see why not. I know your not allowed to use motorized vehicles but I dont think it said any thing about bicycles. Could always call F&G and ask over the phone but I am pretty sure its ok. We use to walk it in about an hour, so I bet on a bike you could do it in 20 minutes or less.

yep you can ride a bike in 3 of us did about 5 years ago maybe more and it was a blast and does get a little tight on some corners on the downhills as there is huge roots just dont ride of a 50ft hill into the devils club like my buddy did and you will have a great time. and for time wise i would say it was a good 30+ mins and we were fit 18 year olds but not bike riders so it was a whole lot of work and i must say plan on doing many more times once i get another bike

Default Updated fishing report

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    Not that I want to argue, but I was at Redshirt Sunday and fished 5 hours with 15 tipups (had my kids with me) and had only 4 flags...I have fished there quite a bit and I would not call 4 flags in 75 tipup-hours "good". The fish we caught were like this one (small):
    3/15: 60 tipup-hrs on Redshirt = 3 flags and 2 fish
    3/16: 60 tipup-hrs on Cow Lake = 2 flags and 1 fish
    3/16-3/17 (overnight): 210 tipup-hrs on Redshirt = 6 flags and 1 fish. ALL of the flags were during daylight hours.

SLOOOOOOOWWWWWW bite

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    yep you can ride a bike in 3 of us did about 5 years ago maybe more and it was a blast and does get a little tight on some corners on the downhills as there is huge roots just dont ride of a 50ft hill into the devils club like my buddy did and you will have a great time. and for time wise i would say it was a good 30+ mins and we were fit 18 year olds but not bike riders so it was a whole lot of work and i must say plan on doing many more times once i get another bike
    We use to walk it in an hour, but that was no stopping with a quick walking pace. Definitely hilly though, up down, up down lol. I just assumed it would only take 20 minutes to ride it but never did it. Were you guys using mountain bikes or BMX style bikes? I am just curios because we plan on hitting red shirt this summer and may ride in instead of walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    3/15: 60 tipup-hrs on Redshirt = 3 flags and 2 fish
    3/16: 60 tipup-hrs on Cow Lake = 2 flags and 1 fish
    3/16-3/17 (overnight): 210 tipup-hrs on Redshirt = 6 flags and 1 fish. ALL of the flags were during daylight hours.

SLOOOOOOOWWWWWW bite

We fished red shirt about a month ago with 7 tip ups for 3 hours. We had 4 flags, and 1 fish. A big one though, about 25" or so. It was our first time, so I have no idea if we were in the right spot or whatnot.

moutain bikes. and yea it was just all the hills and roots and not have ridden in a long while we definatly found new muscles lol. you end up in spots were you actualy have to walk your bike up some hills because they were to rough to get some ramming speed so they take alot extra outa you as well after pushing your bike and gear up 5 or 6 hills each way. if i remember corectly half of it was very smooth wich makes up for it. well if you go good luck and dont fly around blind corners as im sure you know!! yogy might just be napping in the trail.

You said in your original post that you can fly. If I had a plane and wanted to catch mass amounts of extremely large pike I would be headed to one place only. Alexander lake. There are even guys that do guided pike fishing fly-ins there in the winter time. They have caught multiple pike over 50" and there is a mass amount of them. It's very easy to get to if you have a plane. It's like a 10 minute flight from Wasilla. It's about a 2 hour snowmachine trip though.

One more thing. What are you using for bait? We started using Hooligan instead of Herring and have upped our catch. They love those little hooligan. Heres a photo of some of our catch this year. In one short day we pulled 22 out of the ice.

P1300020.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    moutain bikes. and yea it was just all the hills and roots and not have ridden in a long while we definatly found new muscles lol. you end up in spots were you actualy have to walk your bike up some hills because they were to rough to get some ramming speed so they take alot extra outa you as well after pushing your bike and gear up 5 or 6 hills each way. if i remember corectly half of it was very smooth wich makes up for it. well if you go good luck and dont fly around blind corners as im sure you know!! yogy might just be napping in the trail.

Funny you mention that, I went back one year and we actually had a black bear stalking us. Eventually showed himself and kept moving closer and closer. We stood waved arms yelled and so on and he wouldnt stop. We kept walking with one of us watching behind us the whole way and just as he was within about 20 yards we came around that last corner and there was a group of people. He stopped, guess he didnt want to deal with a group of people. Scared the hell out of me and my uncle though I dont think he would admit it lol. I was about 16 or 17 when it happened. Ever since then I havnt gone out fishing any where like that without a fire arm. Never had a bear act like that before. Normally they would take off when ever that happened, but this guy had NO fear of us what so ever. If that group of people hadnt been there camping at Redshirt I am not to sure it would have gone well at that point.

He was pretty stealthy at first but he stepped on a stick and that alerted us to his presence, but once he knew we knew it was like he didn't care, he was still going to continue to close that gap. What was weird though is he never ran, just a steady pace getting closer and closer.

to me it sounds like you may have gotten between a sow and cubs that was just pushing you away or just a single bear waiting for you to separąte. parts of that trail have spots that its hard to make enough noise as its thick brush and tons of little valleys. ive seen a few black bears out there and a big brown but thats been the problem i have had out there is walking up on every one of them with no warning but they all ran. ok but if you want to have some fun with pike i would be sure to hit south rolly and find the large groups of stockers as soon as it gets stocked well within a few weeks. fish a rappala through the school or just wait and watch with your bow. i did very well out there this last summer. i also found that after the ice goes out go to the little pond on the backside of south rolly we got 7 in one day on rod . if you bow fish i would not recomend useing it back there as the i lost 2 arrows rite away my bows 50 lb so it barried in the weeds and yea there like cable so they got left behind. you mite also try the pond behind the church at biglake cutoff if you arnt after huge ones. if you fish all the lilly pads around with silver and black pike flies you should catch 10 an hour for your first 2 or 3 times around it and i must say the little guys are fun on a fly rod just dont expect more then 24 " or so. hope that could help a little for the easier places to get to that i have done well with.

I use to hit that pond behind the church a lot, years ago. Me and a buddy went there last year first week of June and didnt catch a single fish, or even have a strike. I may try it again this spring. Caught plenty of pike out of south rolley. A lot of times we would hike in to Red shirt in the morning, head back around 2 or 3 then we would sit down by the shore (always had a lake side spot) and cast out a bobber with hearing and bs till we had a bite.

I have been really wanting to try bow fishing, haven't really had a chance yet. I have an old browning bow around 45 lbs and then I have my Outlaw that is at 65 lbs, pretty sure the outlaw would be to strong and end up loosing arrows like you mentioned. I was thinking about getting a couple arrows and making up some kind of spool or buy a cheep one and some line and give it a try with the Browning. Plenty of times been at South Rolly and seen the pike but couldn't get them to bite lol. Would have been nice to have a bow or spear then.

As for the bear, I dont know what was going on. It never huffed or growled at us just stayed very quiet except for the branch snap. I was looking for cubs actually, never seen one but then again that doesn't mean there weren't any there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast